Creating is My Passion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
While I was letting some sayas get all glued up, I decided I wanted to make a shaving brush. I'll be setting in a 22-24mm knot, at a nice and low 48mm, give or take. I can't stop holding this piece, and looking at it. It feels damn nice in hand, and to be honest, I just love making things - useful things.

Here's the handle, all finished up. It's much shinier in real life, but the lighting in my kitchen is only average, at best. :) It's one solid piece of ebony, and yes, I'll be selling these when I get them made, sporadically. Well, likely not this one....

64AAA89E-472D-446D-8EA1-A42505E80529-135-0000000EE37B46C9_zps4e6488f6.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Just because...I don't own a lathe. :D

Awesome. I would probably pick one up. Great work.

I'd need it a little longer. Then it would be a dandy little club to tap hubby's forehead to get his attention...

Nice! Show us a pic when you set the knot. I wonder if Dave's board wax mix would be practical for wooden brush handles?

I will, for sure. It might work, but something more along the lines of Danish Oil might be better. I'm still trying to decide what's best.

I'd totally be interested in one of these. Beautiful work!

From one that has a full beard.....doesn't it need bristles? Looks great.

Here it is all finished up. I got my stamp on the bottom and everything. :D

The knot is a Super Badger, with a 24mm x 48mm setting. As always, I'd love your thoughts.

15E62E19-2473-49E2-878B-45488F06F5A4-612-0000011A8ED0F8B4_zps30cf6c15.jpg

You did that without a lathe? Are you nuts? ;) Looks nice.

Stefan

Yeah, lathes are expensive, and I'm not in the business of making brushes...yet. :D

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really do appreciate them. I realized that this shape is basically the Stanley Cup, turned on its head. Who knew the coolest trophy in sports was such a practical shape?

Also, I do plan on making these for sale, when I need a break from knife/saya work, but I'm a bit lost on pricing. I'm no Rudy Vey (not even close), so it's tough to price them out, as a result of the increasing knot prices.

I have a Sheffield in need of some scales.... :D

I think I'd be in for a sharpandshiny brush :D

Here's another one I just finished up. I'm waiting on knots to come straight from the source, but this is made for a 22mm Finest Badger, and will be set around 45mm for a dream face-latherer. I had time while gluing up a couple sayas, and this happened. It's my take on a Persian Jar (one of my favourite shapes), made out of stabilized satinwood from Dream Burls.

As always, comments welcomed. Oh, and I still don't have a lathe. Haha.

7353C370-6E5C-4027-98D4-3F840C694BAE-1795-0000029172267C67_zps55e55d23.jpg

Looks great Tom. I have a TGN 22mm finest. Good choice. I sincerely like the handle.

The last handle (PJ) went in the trash. It didn't end up being symmetrical, and well, it was boring. Michael Rader sent me a mini-lathe, as a gift, and I'm paying him back with a brush. He asked for nothing, but that would be awfully rude. Here's the handle I just made for him, today.

EB7F0B6C-8451-4238-BDE0-ADB3195C063A-246-00000019ADBD705A_zpsf10f9379.jpg

All pores were filled with CA, and it's been finished up to 800 grit wet/dry, with a bit of gunstock oil.

Let me know what you all think. Once my knots come in, this is getting a 24mm Silvertip Badger, set at about 48-50mm.

Thanks, guys!

WOW... Tom these are amazing!

Now make a citrus reamer!

It seems silly...just silly enough that I might actually do it!

And thanks, guys.

Very stunning, Tom! But do I understand you correctly that the second one you posted a pic of ended up in the trash? I kind of kind the subtleties if its shape. Bah, what do I know?

And a citrus reamer would be awesome. Then maybe an oyster shucker!

Back