Quantcast
Advice on yanagiba

Thread: Advice on yanagiba

Advice on yanagiba

I just got an email from a good colleague from Japan. He is coming for a meeting in Denmark and he asked me if I would like to bring me something "oh " (by something, we mean j.knives ... or something similar).

The truth is, I don't need any more knives but I would like to try a yanagiba and a single bevel knife. I looked the following one: Shimatani yanagiba 300mm blue #2, for 180$. Is it worth it the money? will be an ok introduction to single bevel?

Vangelis

Vangelis,
    You are most probably going to mess up your first single bevel knife (no punt intended) while sharpening. I have made the mistake of buying an expensive single bevel knife for practice which I was afraid to sharpen it not to mess it up. Later i have bought a Tanaka silver3 Deba (less than $100 ) to practice single bevels and sharpening. I dont mind it getting scratched or messing the shinogi line since this knife will be sacrified to the single bevelled knife gods
    I don't know anything about the knife you mentioned but I will suggest you getting a beater single bevel before a nicer one

How about a well known knife brand that is cheaper without a middleman?

http://aritsugu.jp/cart/html/yg005.htm
    Aritsugu Tsukiji sells a blue #2 300mm yanagiba for 21,000 yen vs aframetokyo's $319 usd. The "grade" appears to be 2nd out of 3 grades, highest being honyaki. I think this brand is famous for having really high HRC and a ***** to sharpen? haha

Quote Originally Posted by ryann View Post
    How about a well known knife brand that is cheaper without a middleman?

http://aritsugu.jp/cart/html/yg005.htm
    Aritsugu Tsukiji sells a blue #2 300mm yanagiba for 21,000 yen vs aframetokyo's $319 usd. The "grade" appears to be 2nd out of 3 grades, highest being honyaki. I think this brand is famous for having really high HRC and a ***** to sharpen? haha
    I have that yanagi in 270mm,excellent blade for the money.

Vangelis if you want to try SB yanagi 180.00 not a bad price,Blue #2 will get razor sharp.Jon Brioda vids are some of the best I have seen in english sharpening Yanagi's.Depends if you want a perfect untouched bladeface more for looks than actually using it,sure sharpening will change that some.Still it is not a 1000 dollar blade as yanagi's can easy hit.

Think of it as a adventure to learn SB sharpening.I enjoy sharpening SB your fingerpads fit perfect hollow ground backside & they get sooo sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
    Shimatani yanagiba 300mm blue #2, for 180$. Is it worth it the money? will be an ok introduction to single bevel?

Vangelis
    Vangelis,

I own the Shimatani 360mm yanagiba in blue super with octagonal handle. This is my second knife from that maker. I couldn't be more pleased with the fit and finish at any price.

Cheers,

Rick