D. Martell Sharpening Class - PA

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Since the sharpening class for NYC has been cancelled I decided to hold one here in our PA shop instead. I checked with those already reserved for the NYC class and they OK'd it.

The class will be held on the same day - Tues, Nov. 12th

The size and price of the class has been reduced & the start time has been changed. Please note these details.

The minimum attendance has already goal has already been met so this class is 100% happening. :cool2:
However, the size of the class is smaller which leaves only two (2) more slots available.

Thanks to everyone for making this happen. I'm already looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

Dave

PS - Since I no longer stock stones (etc) here in PA, should you want to pick up any items from our store please let me know ahead of time so that I can get them sent in before the class date. Oh, and you'll get 10% OFF too!:)

You can sign up HERE

Dave, can you do a class in Australia? :D

It's not fair, you guys get to have great sharpening classes there and best I could do is learn from Jon's youtube channel.

One of these days, Dave, one of this days!

Dave, you should go on a round the world trip, I am sure you'd meet forum members at every stop :lol2:

What's the basic schedule, Dave? Curious how much basics there are vs actual hands-on. Looking fwd to it.

I never figured out the actual time on each section and that's because each class differs based on experience levels and questions asked, etc. Basically I talk/teach on the board, then show on the stones, then you go to your stones and repeat what you've learned. I'll cover stone maintenance, asymmetry, how to find angles, practical tips and whatever else I can squeeze in. Sharpening will first be double bevels and then singles in the afternoon.

Take it from me, this is a great experience. I drove down all the way from Toronto to take it! If you're on the fence, get off it and onto the bandwagon.

I just answered an email that asked when the next class was going to be held. The gent can't make this one unless he takes off work. I answered that this is too bad because it's been years since the last one and likely will be years before the next.

If you're holding out for the next class then I think that you'll be waiting a long time.

Well it's been reduced to 3 attending. :(

As for food, I don;t know about the rest of us but Brian H is getting a McChicken sandwich. :lol2:

Sorry to hear, Dave. Better for us trainees, not so much for the trainer. Hope you get at least another. I'll buy them something off the dollar menu...

If there is anyone out there on the fence about signing up and decide not to go, believe me. You are going to regret not attending when you hear the feedback from those who attended. Take the opportunity while it's there!!

Dave, did you hit/re-hit Facebook and any other forums?

I did FB and I'm banned on every other forum so there ya have it. :D

That's OK though we'll have a good day, can't have a bad one with knives and stones around, right?

Back