Media Breaking News! Documentary on Japanese Knife Making Coming Soon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's talking about tamahagane? I don't care what they want to show us, I'll be watching for sure.

It was funny how he clarified at the end with, "in the world, basically, it's the purest of its kind."

Tatara bloom steel is not all that pure. Low-alloy, sure, but not pure.

production quality looks great.ill be tuning in for sure. im excited that a lot of documentaries are being filmed on cooking, i'd love if there was more videos made about cooking the way that action sports make videos about what their athelets are doing. I love the 60-75 minute documentary on a kitchen somewhere or a food source like tuna and sushi.

Would love to see this! I hope its as nice as the documentary about Jiro and his Sushi restaurant, I love the Japanese way of looking at things and working on them until reaching perfection (which in the view of the artisan is never).

Update! SPRINGHAMMER premiered at the Edmonton International Film Festival at the end of September. I got a chance to see it there and it was awesome! I believe it was just shown in Calgary and will have showings in the other cities that have Knifewear stores. I heard rumours of a DVD and Vimeo release but don't know any dates yet.

I wrote Kevin Kossowan about it and he answered this morning.
Springhammer will be available online as of 7pm MST today! here is the address to see it

http://www.vimeo.com/ondemand/springhammer

Just finished watching it. Very little knerdy content. Mostly promotes the value of craftsmen, shows a bit about a few 'smiths, talks about the resurgence of interest in the craft and how that is being nurtured. Certainly worth 50 minutes (the $10 will depend on who you are).

I am really looking forward - will definitely get the DVD once released.

This might be old news at this point, but I bought the DVD from Knifewear that has both Springhammer 1 & 2 (part 2 is an extra 20 mins or so of interviews and other footage)...so the entire package on one disc is over an hour of content. They sell it for $10 CDN ($7.70 USD).

Cheers,
Blair

Back