Quantcast
Gallery - Western Re-Handles - Page 22
Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallery - Western Re-Handles

I can't wait to see the figure on that koa in person! another beautiful handle, well done

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I can't wait to see the figure on that koa in person! another beautiful handle, well done

Hopefully you'll have it in just a few days time. Thanks Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    No fault to Dave, but you probably won't like it. Ugly stuff.
    Look at it from one direction and it is light, from another it is dark.
    Then when you move it around there are those weird shapes that move around under the surface.
    You will probably think you have been drinking too much.

Just teasing you. It is tough to get a photo that shows what the Koa is like in person.
    Great job on all the knives Dave. It is nice to see someone take the time to bring out the full potential in the wood.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Here is Rio's Nenox suji with it's new two toned curly flamed redwood (from Burl Source) scales. Black G10 liners and nickel silver pins used.

These handles are tricky to do because you more or less have to reshape the front and rear bolsters to blend in with the handle shape. The results are nice but this does require more work than normal. Also, this particular Nenox knife has factory steel liner sheets that are integral with the bolsters but not the tang which means they pop us loose (in the middle - not the ends) after the factory scales are removed. They're troublesome when drilling and even more troublesome when trying to get a tight fit up. Again more work needed than most knives but the results seem to be worth it.

Hope you enjoy this one Rio.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010001.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	2905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	2904  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.JPG 
Views:	610 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	2906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	2907  

Name:	P1010006.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	2908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	2909  

Name:	P1010010.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	2910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010011.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	2911  

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    No fault to Dave, but you probably won't like it. Ugly stuff.
    Look at it from one direction and it is light, from another it is dark.
    Then when you move it around there are those weird shapes that move around under the surface.
    You will probably think you have been drinking too much.

Just teasing you. It is tough to get a photo that shows what the Koa is like in person.
    Great job on all the knives Dave. It is nice to see someone take the time to bring out the full potential in the wood.

Thanks Mark but it's easy to do with such nice wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here is Lauri's 240mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto with black maple scales (from Burl Source) with white G10 liners, nickel silver pins & one mosaic center pin. The blade was thinned & etched.

Hot dayum! That's so cool lookin'. I love how these rehandles can transform a knife into a unique piece. All of these look awesome.

I gotta stop looking. It's a double edged sword ... wanna see more ... see more and makes me want one right now. That black and white is "off the heezy" ... and that Nenox is a straight beauty. The only thing nicer than your re-handles are you own blades custom handled Dave. Your work has clearly progressed since last year. Keep it up and focused on it because you are doing right no doubt.

Regards

There is so much classy sexy stuff in this thread. I really like Rio's Nenox suji. The white liners with dark wood on that last knife are not my thing though, but everything else on that knife is amazing.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

You've been busy with all these rehandles!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here is Rio's Nenox suji with it's new two toned curly flamed redwood (from Burl Source) scales. Black G10 liners and nickel silver pins used.

These handles are tricky to do because you more or less have to reshape the front and rear bolsters to blend in with the handle shape. The results are nice but this does require more work than normal. Also, this particular Nenox knife has factory steel liner sheets that are integral with the bolsters but not the tang which means they pop us loose (in the middle - not the ends) after the factory scales are removed. They're troublesome when drilling and even more troublesome when trying to get a tight fit up. Again more work needed than most knives but the results seem to be worth it.

Hope you enjoy this one Rio.

Sure i will Dave, thank you for the beautiful work. It came out better than i expected .