Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 1 on 1 Sharpening Classes

  1. #1
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,361

    1 on 1 Sharpening Classes

    Recently, within the last month, I've had the opportunity to host two 1 on 1 sharpening classes here in my shop. I haven't done a lot of these since moving a few years ago and I had forgot how nice it is to meet with like minded people and share some knife geek time. What was even nicer than all that was how rewarding both experiences were in how each student progressed and achieved success. Each had their own issues that were holding them back and we were able to get passed them by identification and solutions. I received nice follow up emails from each student, here's a few snippets...

    Dave,
    I just wanted to let you know that I could NOT be more pleased with Sunday's outcome!!!!! First of all, I got waaaaayyyy better results than I ever dreamed possible, not to mention your teaching methods which I seemed to grasp rather quickly (ok, maybe that's partly from reading your 'words' for well over a decade....

    ... I suppose that I knew WHAT to do but didn't know HOW to do it. Thanks to you, I believe that is no longer true. In my eyes, I got WAAAAAAYYYYY more than my money's worth and would heartily recommend you as a teacher....

    ...By the way, I only used the Ryusen that I sharpened at work today but it performed very impressively. My co-workers were equally impressed!!


    I have been to knife sharpening classes at places like Sur La Table and at different cooking classes in the past. Generally, those classes entailed 10+ people standing around a table watching and listening to someone talk about sharpening and giving a cursory few swipes of a blade across a sharpening stone. And, perhaps worst of all was a cooking class I went to where the chef did exactly what you said yesterday was useless . . . did a few haphazard swipes across a sharpening stone, no stropping, and then announced, “Now you have a knife that is as good as new!”

    In either event, this was an incredibly fun and informative day for me and I really appreciate your time. You are a fantastic teacher. I have left with the confidence to go sharpen, and perhaps scrape the sides!, of my own knives now.

    I realize that it's a great expense in time and money to travel out here to PA for a sharpening class so it's obvious that this is out of reach for most, but none the less, I want you to know that I'm available for classes if you're ever in the neighborhood. PM me for details.

    Regards,
    Dave


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,142
    Sounds like a fantastic experience Dave.

    I'll certainly let you know if I'm ever heading down Pennsylvania way.

    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

  3. #3
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic experience Dave.

    I'll certainly let you know if I'm ever heading down Pennsylvania way.

    I'd love to meet you even if we don't do a class.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I'd love to meet you even if we don't do a class.
    As would I. But a sharpening class sounds even better.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Damn I wish I could fly you to South Africa!!! If you ever planning of coming this way on a holiday I would totally take advantage of you!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    768
    I took a private class from Dave many moons ago. It was a fantastic experience. I was a fairly competent sharpener going in and I never imagined how much I would learn that day. Learning from video clips on YouTube is one thing but learning directly from a pro who has been doing this full time for the past 87 years (sorry Dave) is completely different. I became a much more competent sharpener. My knives are sharper, my edges last longer, I sharpen faster and with less effort and my knives are better for it too. Since the class I haven't encountered a sharpening job that I don't have the skills or confidence to handle.

    I put in two full days of driving and two nights at a motel to take the class and it was more than worth it. Before this class buying knives was the easy part but maintaining them to perform to their potential was sometimes frustrating. I get a lot more pleasure out of my knives now. I can honestly say that Dave's class was some of the best money I've ever spent on this hobby. It made much more sense than spending more money on knives I couldn't get the most out of. I can't imagine anyone who takes a class with Dave feeling like it was a waste of time or money. Highly recommended.

  7. #7
    Dave Martell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Airville, PA
    Posts
    12,361
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    I took a private class from Dave many moons ago. It was a fantastic experience. I was a fairly competent sharpener going in and I never imagined how much I would learn that day. Learning from video clips on YouTube is one thing but learning directly from a pro who has been doing this full time for the past 87 years (sorry Dave) is completely different. I became a much more competent sharpener. My knives are sharper, my edges last longer, I sharpen faster and with less effort and my knives are better for it too. Since the class I haven't encountered a sharpening job that I don't have the skills or confidence to handle.

    I put in two full days of driving and two nights at a motel to take the class and it was more than worth it. Before this class buying knives was the easy part but maintaining them to perform to their potential was sometimes frustrating. I get a lot more pleasure out of my knives now. I can honestly say that Dave's class was some of the best money I've ever spent on this hobby. It made much more sense than spending more money on knives I couldn't get the most out of. I can't imagine anyone who takes a class with Dave feeling like it was a waste of time or money. Highly recommended.

    Hi Norm, I enjoyed the time with you as well and consider you a friend as I've got to know you better over the years. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the class.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •