Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kramer Zwilling Rehandle

Kramer Zwilling Rehandle

Here's a Kramer Zwilling chef's knife that's had it's handle upgraded. This job was such a challenge that I hope to not have to do anymore of these, although I do have one more here waiting currently. After this next one I'll charge at least double to even think about it again.

Why was it so difficult? To start the scales are epoxied on - plus they use a really thin paper liner. When the epoxy factor is added to the wood used being so fragile that it chips apart into small pieces factor, the removal of the scales had to be done by grinding. Yes the scales, right down to the last fraction of a millimeter had to be ground/sanded off both the tang and bolsters. Then, the real challenge came into play when the scales were to be mounted because the tang has been tapered and is completely uneven from top to bottom - back to front and in every other possible direction. Flat scales will not fit up to this tang - NEVER EVER! Had I not previously done hundreds of handles in the past I don't believe I could have done this one without it fitting up like crap. Yeah this rehandle was in the top 3 worst I've had to do.

On the details....

The customer really wanted to keep the Kramer (center) pin and re-use it on the new handle and I was 99.99% sure I wouldn't be able to do this and then it became clear that I certainly couldn't as this pin isn't a pin at all, it's just a decoration, a shallow plug that doesn't run through the handle.

Since I don't care for using large pinstock (like the factory used) I opted for smaller size pins but used some Kramer-esque styled brass pins to pay respect (to Bob's design) and still give the customer a similar feel to what he wanted.

The wood was supplied by the customer, it's stabilized dyed box elder burl.

Liners are G10

The handle was shaped to be close to the stock feel but less bulbous/fat, I like this aspect of the job, I think this feels good in the hand.

On the blade, I did no blade work at all (not even sharpening) so any differences you may see in the comparison shots would be from lighting.

I hope that the customer enjoys this knife more than I did...LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	777.7 KB 
ID:	31568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle9.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	31569  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	678.3 KB 
ID:	31570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle12.JPG 
Size:	348.1 KB 
ID:	31571  

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	687.8 KB 
ID:	31572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle7.jpg 
Size:	696.4 KB 
ID:	31573  

Name:	Kramer Zwilling Rehandle10.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	408.0 KB 
ID:	31574  

dude, this is awesome. i already kinda wanted a zwilling kramer, now i want a Martell Zwilling Kramer!

Dave,

That looks like a killer handle shape. I have a BK Zwilling that I got to see what the fuss was about. I thought that the handle started out feeling very comfortable, but after some use the middle bulge started feeling like it was to much. For my Forgecraft this is exactly what I had in mind. How many MM thick is it in the middle?

Engorged Member
    Dave, did you thin the knife?
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

'Peg City, MB, Canada (633694, 5528676) UTM NAD83 Zone 14N
    That looks awesome Dave, 8" I presume?

I'm kind of glad you said it's such a PITA because it helps tip the scales (no pun intended) towards using a different knife for a rehandle coupon.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

@Bill - the handle measures 22-23mm across it's width in the middle.

@Judd - I did no work to the blade at all, it's stock.

@Tanner - Yup, it's 8"

I cannot wait to get this in my hands, it looks awesome Dave! I know it's been a huge PITA dealing with this particular knife, and I can't thank you enough for all the extra work you put in to make it happen.

I actually bought 3 sets of the wood blocks to match, now I just need to pick out the next two I'm going to have you do as I'm sure a matching parer is the last thing you want to hear!

Would you be willing to try the essential or damascus versions, with the plastic scales?

Quote Originally Posted by mille162 View Post
    I cannot wait to get this in my hands, it looks awesome Dave! I know it's been a huge PITA dealing with this particular knife, and I can't thank you enough for all the extra work you put in to make it happen.

I actually bought 3 sets of the wood blocks to match, now I just need to pick out the next two I'm going to have you do as I'm sure a matching parer is the last thing you want to hear!

I'm happy to see that you like it Ron, that's what matters the most.

Quote Originally Posted by MAS4T0 View Post
    Would you be willing to try the essential or damascus versions, with the plastic scales?
    Do these have tapered tangs too? I'd do these for double the price.