looking for a big, thick and heavy 270mm workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masibu

Reaction score
Ive got a number of laser thin gyutos already which I enjoy, howeverbim pooking to try out something a little sturdier and robust to try out. Im looking for something that starts thick at the top of the heel (around 4-5mm) and quickly tapers down to 2mm 15cm from the tip and further still. I like my edges pretty thin, but im thinking/hoping the thicker spine will contribute to greater convexing and less stickage, plus the added weight would also assist in cutting.

Im hoping to spend cheap here so I can determine whether I prefer the feel of my light laser thin gyutos or something with some heft behind it. Id prefer to stick with around $200 budget or even less, although if I can be persuaded to go more expensive and I will definitely enjoy the knife then I guess I can splurge a little.

We use crappy plastic boards at work, and although I enjoy sharpening, the guys at work hate when I sharpen on the job (they seem to think sharp knives are a waste of time..) so thinking a stainless knife would probably give me longer edge retention on our boards than say my white #2 masamoto (which I love btw) but I love my carbon knives so much... What are some makers that might fit my criteria? If I decide on a carbon knife, would aogami super be best for a knife with lots of board contact on our boards? I don't know what to get! Help!

While not exactly beastly, I really like the Zakuri knives from JKI. Somewhat rustic looking but really just all business. Most are out of stock but not this one.

Zakuri makes a nice knife. I was going to suggest Kato from Maxim, but it's much more expensive.

I was just looking on epic edge and came across the yoshikane skd.. what's the general consensus with this knife?

http://www.epicureanedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85678&photo=3&size=n

It's something of a forum stalwart*, not fashionable any more though. One of the first "must have" J-knives (along with e.g. Watanabe, Takeda etc.) I have the migaki (polished, not hammered) version - it's somewhere between middleweight and workhorse, awesome distal taper, very thin at the tip, excellent geometry.

My Yoshi cuts like this too:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Release-Videos?p=233329&viewfull=1#post233329

The core steel is semi-stainless, very tough and reasonably forgiving to sharpen.

As a note, there have been some posts claiming these wa-handled knives vary a little in thickness, and that the western handled variant is proper beastly.

* very old review here

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php?t-1989.html

i dont know why i didnt already mention watanabe. if your ok with carbon, watanabe is THE workhorse to get!
its pretty crazy that fred paid almost half the current sticker price for the same knife 6 years ago too.

Masibu: you asked about aogami, from my experience it is quite a light metal, unless you are thinking something along the lines of a deba. Havent seen too many heavy aogami knives. This past month Ive been using a 240 Takeda and it holds up quite well on plastic boards with light stropping or touch ups here and there. Holds its edgy amazingly long but is very light.

The alloy of a core steel isn't going to change the weight noticeably.

i dont know why i didnt already mention watanabe. if your ok with carbon, watanabe is THE workhorse to get!
its pretty crazy that fred paid almost half the current sticker price for the same knife 6 years ago too.

I think the first Takeda large cleaver was purchased for about $170!

uh... heiji, kato?

Those are great, but no where near the $200 budget.

There aren't a lot of great heavy knives that are thin behind the edge for $200 or less. There is more grinding involved, so more costs. It is cheaper to make a laser (thin stock, less grinding) or a chunky knife (thick stock but you don't grind it anywhere close as thin at the edge).

If you can, expand your budget a bit. I am pretty confident you will enjoy a nicely made workhorse. Also, figure out what makers interest you and post in the BST. I did this recently with three workhorse knives and found one of each.

I really like my Hiromoto AS as a workhorse. I don't think it's quite as thin behind the edge as you want it, but it's in your price range & with some work on the stones, you can get it there. I find edge retention in a pro setting to be decent, and it's easy to sharpen.

I really like my Hiromoto AS as a workhorse. I don't think it's quite as thin behind the edge as you want it, but it's in your price range & with some work on the stones, you can get it there. I find edge retention in a pro setting to be decent, and it's easy to sharpen.
Recent Hiromotos aren't that fat anymore.

+1 to this. I just wish they had a Wa handled version (the only reason I got rid of mine). Thinning behind the edge will take some work, but I think that's part of the workhorse idea. And AS steel is one I'd the best for edge retention as far as I know.

Those are great, but no where near the $200 budget.

There aren't a lot of great heavy knives that are thin behind the edge for $200 or less. There is more grinding involved, so more costs. It is cheaper to make a laser (thin stock, less grinding) or a chunky knife (thick stock but you don't grind it anywhere close as thin at the edge).

If you can, expand your budget a bit. I am pretty confident you will enjoy a nicely made workhorse. Also, figure out what makers interest you and post in the BST. I did this recently with three workhorse knives and found one of each.

Ive looked at a few different knives now and it seems my budget will have to expand to get a good one. I have rough stones and am happy to grind at a cheap knife to get what im after but at the end of the day I dont know how my job would compare to a more expensive knife.

the yoshi seems the leader at the moment.. I hate paying those shipping fees to australia though, so if I can cheap it I probably will (maybe shoulda mentioned that). Wasnt finding a lot on jck and havent checked rakuten yet..Would it be worth making a custom moritaka order?

for all the hiromoto lovers, had one for a while and did enjoy it but they dont run thick at the spine at all.

I have a couple of moritakas and whilst they are decent cutters, I did notice those issues.. I have a nakiri (doesnt get much use at least) with a few quirks. It was cheap though...

I was going to order directly from moritaka.. are they really that unreasonable? I would like to avoid dramas

They've sold a lot of poorly ground knives through an American vendor, and I must conclude their Quality Control doesn't work as it should. That's all.

I have ordered from there before and cant be bothered with using them either. Its expensive for me to order from there anyway

I see two options: having a Western deba, which is a thick gyuto with a fine edge, mostly quite expensive, or
having a worn good old carbon which needs some work. Are you sure you do want a lot of weight, or do you want a blade heavy knife, in which case there are much more options within your budget?

The weight isnt a big issue really, im more focused on the thick, heavily tapered spine with good convexing. I like my edges thin but I don't really like uber thin, flexible knifes. The fact that im noticing less stickage on thicker knives is a nice bonus too. I like my masamoto ks profile, so I guess a thicker, more durable version of that would be ideal.

Im only making numbers up, but I was shooting for around 4-5mm thick at the spine above the heel, tapering down to like 2mm around the halfway mark and then having a nice thin tip.

Back