Quantcast
looking for a big, thick and heavy 270mm workhorse gyuto
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for a big, thick and heavy 270mm workhorse gyuto

looking for a big, thick and heavy 270mm workhorse gyuto

Ive got a number of laser thin gyutos already which I enjoy, howeverbim pooking to try out something a little sturdier and robust to try out. Im looking for something that starts thick at the top of the heel (around 4-5mm) and quickly tapers down to 2mm 15cm from the tip and further still. I like my edges pretty thin, but im thinking/hoping the thicker spine will contribute to greater convexing and less stickage, plus the added weight would also assist in cutting.

Im hoping to spend cheap here so I can determine whether I prefer the feel of my light laser thin gyutos or something with some heft behind it. Id prefer to stick with around $200 budget or even less, although if I can be persuaded to go more expensive and I will definitely enjoy the knife then I guess I can splurge a little.

We use crappy plastic boards at work, and although I enjoy sharpening, the guys at work hate when I sharpen on the job (they seem to think sharp knives are a waste of time..) so thinking a stainless knife would probably give me longer edge retention on our boards than say my white #2 masamoto (which I love btw) but I love my carbon knives so much... What are some makers that might fit my criteria? If I decide on a carbon knife, would aogami super be best for a knife with lots of board contact on our boards? I don't know what to get! Help!

While not exactly beastly, I really like the Zakuri knives from JKI. Somewhat rustic looking but really just all business. Most are out of stock but not this one.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Zakuri makes a nice knife. I was going to suggest Kato from Maxim, but it's much more expensive.

I was just looking on epic edge and came across the yoshikane skd.. what's the general consensus with this knife?

http://www.epicureanedge.com/shopexd...photo=3&size=n

Quote Originally Posted by masibu View Post
    I was just looking on epic edge and came across the yoshikane skd.. what's the general consensus with this knife?

i think that yoshi skd would be a good choice for a workhorse

Quote Originally Posted by masibu View Post

It's something of a forum stalwart*, not fashionable any more though. One of the first "must have" J-knives (along with e.g. Watanabe, Takeda etc.) I have the migaki (polished, not hammered) version - it's somewhere between middleweight and workhorse, awesome distal taper, very thin at the tip, excellent geometry.

My Yoshi cuts like this too:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post233329

The core steel is semi-stainless, very tough and reasonably forgiving to sharpen.

As a note, there have been some posts claiming these wa-handled knives vary a little in thickness, and that the western handled variant is proper beastly.

* very old review here

http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulleti...hp?t-1989.html

i dont know why i didnt already mention watanabe. if your ok with carbon, watanabe is THE workhorse to get!
    its pretty crazy that fred paid almost half the current sticker price for the same knife 6 years ago too.

Hiromoto AS, do love my Yoshi SKD also

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Masibu: you asked about aogami, from my experience it is quite a light metal, unless you are thinking something along the lines of a deba. Havent seen too many heavy aogami knives. This past month Ive been using a 240 Takeda and it holds up quite well on plastic boards with light stropping or touch ups here and there. Holds its edgy amazingly long but is very light.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

The alloy of a core steel isn't going to change the weight noticeably.