Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Takeda cleaver comparison - New vs Old (pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    ths bevel on my nakiri and then ts now the best cuter that i own. Food release is also excellent with the new grind, and im guessing is a big part od tye reason for changing.
    Ugh so taptalk cut half of my post off and apparently failed auto correct too.

What I was trying to say was that I have a Takeda nakiri with this grind and its one of the best cutters i own while also being low drag and excellent at food release.

My blade was very thin to begin with, but I spent less than an hour streamlining behind the edge.

A cleaver would be a slightly bigger undertaking, but the 270mm passaround gyuto i used also wouldnt have taken much work to get it cutting more like how most ppl on here like.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Well then I stand corrected on my forging comment. That picture of the S grind does seem to be whats going on with my knife and it is indeed a wedging monster. I have begun thinning. This is about an hours worth of work. I'm sure there's another 2-3 hours to go.

On a lighter note, I got the old cleaver stuck in the board BAD. Sword in the stone style.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Ugh so taptalk cut half of my post off and apparently failed auto correct too.

What I was trying to say was that I have a Takeda nakiri with this grind and its one of the best cutters i own while also being low drag and excellent at food release.

My blade was very thin to begin with, but I spent less than an hour streamlining behind the edge.

A cleaver would be a slightly bigger undertaking, but the 270mm passaround gyuto i used also wouldnt have taken much work to get it cutting more like how most ppl on here like.
    LOL...I was wondering what was going on there. Thought maybe you'd gone a little heavy on the soma after working a double.

Be Well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

FWIW I will say that using Justin's Takeda Nakiri was creepy for me. The cutting resistance on onion julienne is about the same as just waving the knife in the air. If I wasn't guiding with my left hand I am not confident I would have been able to tell when actual cutting began and ended. No exaggeration.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    Does anybody know if you can specify the old style geometry if you special order direct from Takeda?
    so a takeda custom is indeed on my shortlist of future purchases...so just to be clear if i wanted an older style geometry i would request a concave grind with a large bevel?
    BTW thanks for the pics chobent.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    LOL...I was wondering what was going on there. Thought maybe you'd gone a little heavy on the soma after working a double.

Be Well,
    Mikey
    Well the fact that Ive been in Paso wine country and hit 21 tastings in 3.5 days may also have played a part....
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    so a takeda custom is indeed on my shortlist of future purchases...so just to be clear if i wanted an older style geometry i would request a concave grind with a large bevel?
    BTW thanks for the pics chobent.
    Probably. The pics of his current customs look really thick, so it appears that this new grind is his default, if you don't ask for something different. Or, you could just get a knife that doesn't need specificity.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    I might have a Takeda stainless nakiri on the way, and I wonder if the new ones' geometry lives up to the oldies. Thanks for showing this and stimulating my paranoia.
    Here's a review on the SS Large Nakiri:

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Here's a review on the SS Large Nakiri:

That's an infomercial - not a "review".

For the knife, it appears to have the little fat/thick wedge bevel.

Sorry, wasnt aware of that.