Shipping Issue

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Guys,

I recently received a complaint/disputed item from Paypal, in regards to an item that has been "in transit" for a bit over a month. I'm not naming names, nor am I placing blame on anyone other than myself. I've become used to trusting members here, and I have sent many items to other continents with little to no problem. However, given the most recent problem, I will no longer be sending items to customers without a tracking number. It is a practice I started doing to keep cost down for my customers, in good faith. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for over a year now, but admittedly, every time I have been nervous while waiting it out. I have to be honest, I don't think the customer and I ever discussed with which method I would ship. I factored in the "affordable" shipping, and out of habit, sent it using untracked air mail. However, we now have no idea where the package is, and a customer is left waiting for his knife and saya, while I feel like a complete ass, and am more than a bit annoyed to have poured a lot of effort into a piece, only to have it sitting at customs, or in the kitchen of a postal worker, rather than where it should be - in the hands of someone who appreciates the tools.

I feel I've earned a reputation for being an honest vendor, and more importantly, member of this community. I would never knowingly rip-off anybody, but yes, I have made people wait longer than I feel is acceptable for me to ship or finish a package. Every time this happens, I get pissed off with myself and wonder what I'm doing. I will say one more thing before I finish up with this post, and the forum for a couple of days: I try hard to be a positive member who brings a bit of levity to a forum with fantastic, passionate members. Sometimes we don't all get along, and lately I'm left thinking "who the hell is this guy"? The direction of the membership has changed, and I'm not sure how positive this has been. I feel I'm left shaking my head more and more these days, but then I'm immediately won over by something as simple as a bunch of us trying to but a Rader for a deserving member. I'll be stepping back for a few days to let the dust settle, and hopefully you don't take this as a snub. I just need a breather....

Thanks everyone. You guys still rock!

I think your reputation amongst the members of this forum is well earned Tom, I have had numerous dealings with you and on the rare occasion I have had to wait you have been very apologetic, and I completely understand that things don't always go to script. This forum is a funny place where friendships are forged (pun intended) over a mutual appreciation for quality wares ( including your Sayas) and sometimes the lines are blurred. It sucks when something like this happens, but I suppose its inevitable. I hope this situation is resolved, and the package shows up.

Tom, I've sent packages with tracking that took almost three weeks to get through customs, or over four weeks in transit to the destination. I hope your package makes it through eventually.

Tom - I've gone through the same thing as an eBay seller. Several times. Strange thing that eBay was founded on the principal that people are basically honest but unfortunately those who wish to take advantage worked their way into the system pretty quickly. Yup, it may be with a customs or postal agent but it may also be in your customer's kitchen. People who are savvy to the rules sometimes wait for opportunities like that to present themselves. The name of the game now is CYA - cover your a**. If you aren't aware, PayPal seller protection only covers items that are shipped via a traceable method WITH a signature. I feel for you Tom. My last loss was a 1400$ lens. Move on but don't let anyone get you again.

yup... this is why i'm so strict with how we ship (especially internationally)... for most, its not a problem, but when it is a problem, its usually a very big and expensive problem :(

Sorry to hear you had to go through this too... and to the customers, please be patient and understanding with our shipping policies

Tom, you sir are a fine businessman and your reputation far exceeds this persons ill tempered quickness to throw mud. I'm sorry they are putting you through this.

I always ship my knives with insurance....Things fall off trucks all the time!!! :angel2:

I'm back after taking the weekend completely off. The only knife related stuff I did was make meals with a single gyuto. Surprisingly, I feel a bit refreshed and ready to go. I will be finishing up and mailing out two sayas, along with listing a knife or two, tomorrow (listing will take precedence, because I really need to update my site).

I really appreciate all of the support, and inflation of my ego. :) I will say that I don't think the customer was crooked, or ripped me off, though I have no proof either way. I'd say that my main issue is definitely the fact that Paypal was contacted instead of working it out with me. If something goes wrong in a transaction with me, or any other vendor on here, please let us know, and I'm sure we'll do what we can to make it right. That is, in my opinion, one if the best parts of buying from small businesses, and not faceless corporations - we really do care. As you all likely know, we are passionate about helping people get products that suit them and they will be proud to use. How many times has Jon talked someone into buying a CHEAPER knife? You sure wouldn't get that from your local commission based salesman.

Sorry if it seemed as though I took my ball and went inside, but it's amazing what even a day or two away can do.

Thanks, as always. :)

Tom, I don't think anyone here questions your integrity for a single second. Case in point:

I bought a custom knife from Tom. when it arrived it just wasn't right for me. I didn't use it but did sharpenin it on a high grit. I sent an e-mail to Tom and within 20 minutes I was issued a full refund no qestions asked. I mean no questions. Then because I had to send the knife to Canada, tom has to pay $50 to customs, the knife only cost $153 to begin with.

I'd bet all my money that if a knife didn't get to its destination, it was the carriers fault. I'd buy from Tom "Lefty" McClean again in a second.

I got used to waiting for month for my packages... thats just how post service+customs are functioning. Even for insured and trackable packages (like USPS Express for example) it usually takes 3-4 weeks to ship from US to Russia... and it takes like 2-5 days for the package to travel over US and all the rest time is lost somewhere in Russia.

Once it took 2.5 months to deliver package from US to me with cheapest airmail service. It was a cheap package and I just assumed it was lost, so wasn't really cared. To my great surprise it safely arrived. It was a warm hat which I ordered just before Christmas. Arrived somewhere in March...

So choosing a trackable and insured shipping for countries like Russia would be probably the best way for you. So as for recipients. Just don't be upset by such things. Sometimes **** happens

I prefer to have things with a tracking number because it saves me a load of time. Way it works over here is that when your package arrives they hold it in your nearest delivery depot then send you a letter telling you to pay the fess blah blah blah and it takes ages. But if it's tracked I know exactly when it gets here and just get it and pay the fees in person, saves loads of time

If something goes wrong in a transaction with me, or any other vendor on here, please let us know, and I'm sure we'll do what we can to make it right. That is, in my opinion, one if the best parts of buying from small businesses, and not faceless corporations - we really do care. As you all likely know, we are passionate about helping people get products that suit them and they will be proud to use.

Lefty, I think you hit the nail on the head here. As small businessmen we know how important each and every customer is and customer service is number one, two and three on the list of priorities. Lefty, I'd stand beside you any time, any where.

I've always gotten stuff from Lefty quickly as well as others from Canada, but one time a package took about 4-5 weeks. The luck of the draw and what customs randomly selects.

With that said, whenever I ship knives I kiss them and hug them good-bye just in case I never see them again ;)

k.

Hey Tom. Curious to know where this stands at the moment. Has a final decision come yet?

Mistakes and losses will always happen ! It is how you handle it that madders :D
I have lost some money many times. But what i have found out that if you treat your costumers good they will return and buy many times more then you loos in the end !
So don't be worried to loos some money here and there. If your costumers is happy they will come back and pay your looses back !

Overall this forum has a great reputation for the honesty of its members. If you think about it, there is a significant amount money that is exchanged each week on the B/S/T forum and you almost never see any public grievances about people getting ripped off.

With that said, I firmly believe in tracking and in some cases insurance. I rather pay the extra few bucks and have piece of mind then try to save a few bucks and then wonder what happened. I would say that this is the unfortunate cost of doing business.

Keep up the good work and hopefully this doesn't change your opinion of the forum members that purchase from you.

Get your ass back up on the horse Tom. you can do it :D

Back