Inexpensive ~210 wa gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi knives folks!

Traveling over Europe I'm being struggling with the knives in those places where we stay, so I'm thinking on buying a cheap gyuto to bring with me.

I want a small and light wa gyuto. Ideally with saya. While not traveling I'll offer this knife for guests, so it might see some abuse. Carbon or stainless, doesn't really matters for me.

I do want to keep it inexpensive to save money on some better knives :)

While there are great Carbonext, Misono stainless and Fujiwara FKM, I couldn't find anything similar with wa handle.
I'm trying to keep it around 100$ but it seems to be mission impossible :-/

tanaka blue steel sdamascus clad is the best cheap 210 ive used its only 155

Unfortunately Tanaka or Gesshin Uraku shipped to Russia would cost me almost twice more of what I was thinking to pay.
But that Sugimoto might be just what I wanted, thanks!

For the E-bay examples shown,Yamawaku Resin collar,burnt chestnut handle,V2 steel is a nice blade for the money.

The Tojiro has a soft plastic collar & poor fit & finish.

The blade has a nice geometry for the price point.It looks good too with the Kasumi finish.The steel is quality & gets razor sharp.Major thinning is not needed to make it cut well.I start with a shallow bevel close to the stone & finish with a higher bevel.

Just a little thinning behind the edge is all it needs,that is done in regular sharpening.

I like Fujiwara FKM, and you can get it from Japanese Chef Knives that ships internationally for a reasonable price.

While JCK really offers great prices on FKM, I would't buy them for myself anytime soon. Got a FKM 150mm petty and while it's a good value for the money, I don't really like the handle.

Might order Carbonext from them later. Just for sake of playing with it. And gift to someone later on.

And now I'm still on the trip and still struggling with crappy knives in Barcelona. Yamawaku is already ordered and should be with me on next trips :)

What do you dislike about the handle on the FKM?

What do you dislike about the handle on the FKM?

Seb, I don't like the smell. It has a rather subtle but unpleasant smell which became a bit stronger when handle became wet. Not a deal breaker, but I hasn't such problems with other knives.

Seb, I don't like the smell. It has a rather subtle but unpleasant smell which became a bit stronger when handle became wet. Not a deal breaker, but I hasn't such problems with other knives.

Could just be a quality control issue with an isolated batch. I have the 120mm and I think it's a fantastic product.

The steel on Fujiwara carbon can be stinky, but I've been noticing that more and more with carbon steel, in general lately. However, I've only had it affect the taste a few times, and surprisingly, that was with a steel that I used to swear by.

The steel on Fujiwara carbon can be stinky, but I've been noticing that more and more with carbon steel, in general lately.

I believe Fujiwara FKM is in stainless, so probably, in my case it might be a quality control issue with the handle.
But it doesn't affect food, so not a big deal anyway.

Latest posts

Back