My first end grain cutting board!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
I was looking in my favorite specialty wood shop for knife handle material, and seen a nice selection of black walnut, and black cherry. Hmmm, says I, I wonder... Here is the result. I just need to wax it, this is after the mineral oil treatment.

Picture1670.jpg

Picture1671.jpg

Oh, my! Stunning!

BTW, I hear Dave has put out a contract on you.

Nice board, Pierre! So you just happened to have a huge sander sitting around?

No, wish I did. I took it to a cabinet shop, and had them surface it for me. I did the finish sanding. Just have to wax, and put some rubber feet on the bottom.

Oh yeah, this on is 16" X 24" X 2"

Sweet! Very good looking board.

Dave! Thanks! There are a couple things I "rookied" on. A couple oversights I would correct, I sure do see your work in a new light. It's one of those thing I had to try.

I only hope I can "rookie" like you!

No, wish I did. I took it to a cabinet shop, and had them surface it for me. I did the finish sanding. Just have to wax, and put some rubber feet on the bottom.

Oh yeah, this on is 16" X 24" X 2"

Its a beauty.

I've been itching to get a drum sander but I got a heat treat oven to save up for.

Its a beauty.

I've been itching to get a drum sander but I got a heat treat oven to save up for.

If you have an access to a wide belt sander, you will be better of just renting time.

Heat treat oven, on the other hand, is a must.

M

Dave! Thanks! There are a couple things I "rookied" on. A couple oversights I would correct, I sure do see your work in a new light. It's one of those thing I had to try.

Good end grain boards do take more work than can be imagined. When I go to shows I hear someone say "I can make on of those, cheaper" a lot.

I can offer a couple of hints. Check the jointer for square and be careful when you pass an edge through the knives. When you spread the glue, make sure you spread it evenly and remove as much as you can leaving about 0.001" of spread glue. (Really! That is all it takes.) Watch the clamping pressure and make sure it is as even as you can make it using cawls. After clamping you should still see excess glue seep out and it should be somewhat even along the entire joint.

Renting time on a wide belt sander is the only way to go for a small shop or a small user. I usually take 15 to 35 at a time to the shop I work with and run them through his wide belt sander. I pay $40/hr which includes an operator. When we are finished, they are dead flat and smoothed down to 120 grit. Sure makes final sanding easier.

Well done! I'm sure the wife lady will come to like it much better than the glass one and so will the knives.

That looks really cool!

I have always wanted to rig up a shoestring end grain cutting board myself, but the reasons to buy from Dave just keep piling up. I was guilty of believing I can do it myself at first, but now, even if I had a full size workshop and all the materials and tools, I'd still want one of his.

You are right there. I wanted one of Daves for a while now, but the missus is more apt at holding onto funds, then giving them for a "cutting board?" So I picked up a little here, a couple clamps there, a little rental here and there, and I got a board. It was a fun build, I learned alot! I did learn, Dave doesn't charge enough!!

All done. Added some rubber feet, 3/4" bottom, and a 1" top. Used a forstner bit to recess them a bit so they wern't to high. Added last coat of board wax. I couldn't get over how fast this thing absorbed mineral oil! Almost 500ml. Hope that wasn't too much...

Pierre, you are a talented custom cutler. If your wife can't see the justification for a cutting board, then God help us all.

I was looking in my favorite specialty wood shop for knife handle material, and seen a nice selection of black walnut, and black cherry. Hmmm, says I, I wonder... Here is the result. I just need to wax it, this is after the mineral oil treatment.

Picture1670.jpg

Picture1671.jpg
old thread sorry but holy $#&@....... i want. gorgeous board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back