Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rituals

rituals

So, before most services . When everything is in its place, no tickets are in and I'm completely ready to rock it... I pause for a few seconds and reflect on all the other cooks/ chefs out there right at that very second . I think about people I've worked with in the past . people ill work with in the future. People who also have there mez sorted. People who are so far behind they feel like their insides are being crushed from stress. People who are overbooked from doushe bag FOH . People who have 0 booked, even how many people have cut themselves/ burnt themselves badly but are soldiering on regardless. I think about all the chefs in the world right at that very second and wonder if anyone is doing the same... Most days right before the tickets flow in I do this.
    So next time your in "the weeds".. Take comfort in the fact that I'm thinking of you... And secretly laughing

Anybody else have any interesting pre service rituals?
    I worked with a guy once that did some deep breathing / stretching stuff in the walk in everyday without a doubt... Almost like walkin yoga

I like to have my stuff together a half hour before opening. It allows me to go to the bar and chat with some regulars and grab a cocktail. Then I'll relax in the "corporate lounge", grab a smoke, finish my drink and wait for the call that that an order is in.

Then repeat every two hours.

i'm never truly fully 'ready' for service as there is always some random detail that i find needs to be attended to. the only thing i am OCD about in my life is having the line a specific way which i guess you could chalk up as a 'ritual'. always gotta have redbull and water on hand before the rush comes.

my pre service ritual is cursing i guess

I agree that I am never truly ready for service. There is always that minuscule thing that you forget about. I also have to have everything in its certain place...I am not into redbull and the carbonation I am more for the Monster Rehabs that have no carbonation

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I like to have my stuff together a half hour before opening. It allows me to go to the bar and chat with some regulars and grab a cocktail. Then I'll relax in the "corporate lounge", grab a smoke, finish my drink and wait for the call that that an order is in.

Then repeat every two hours.
    This is the best argument for biting the bullet and opening my own place that I have seen in a while.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i'm never truly fully 'ready' for service as there is always some random detail that i find needs to be attended to. the only thing i am OCD about in my life is having the line a specific way which i guess you could chalk up as a 'ritual'. always gotta have redbull and water on hand before the rush comes.
    I think we're all OCD especially when it comes to line set up. But that's just commonsence.
    I can't stand energy drinks, they make my body move faster than my brain or the other way around
    Coffee is another story....

Salty dog: that sounds amazing. I could try that, but would most likely get fired... One day

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If you truly think you're "ready" for service, I know you're probably full of it. That one thing that you totally forgot about is going to be the hot seller for the night. Oh and the chef didn't tell you specials until 10 minutes before service.
    Thanks chef!
    Yes, please chef, talk some more **** to me about not being ready for service and not having any specials mise when it's your fault because you've been missing for the past 3 hours before service!
    Yeah! Thanks!
    and I'm the one who sucks!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    If you truly think you're "ready" for service, I know you're probably full of it. That one thing that you totally forgot about is going to be the hot seller for the night. Oh and the chef didn't tell you specials until 10 minutes before service.
    Thanks chef!
    Yes, please chef, talk some more **** to me about not being ready for service and not having any specials mise when it's your fault because you've been missing for the past 3 hours before service!
    Yeah! Thanks!
    and I'm the one who sucks!

Lol, very true. I'm usually as ready as I could possibly be short of having mind reading skills or being able to see into the future, surely everybody agrees standard set up is no issue. But curveballs like last minute specials or selling far more of an item than usual are b.s but unpredictable.
    Either way that's beside the point... Nobody got any pre service rituals other than stress / worry and constantly trying to think ahead? How boring

Pre-service pee.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter