Going to Kauai, advice please!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
Any KKFers live in HI or frequent? my GF and i are spending two weeks in november on Kauai's north shore. Any and all advice, stories, etc welcome! we're a couple of food-loving, nature loving New yorkers looking to relax for a bit.

Kauai is a beautiful island.The Na Pali coast trail is a major hike,but spectacular.During the wintertime stay out of the water on the North & west shores.It is dangerious. Places like Hanalei bay & Wainiha bay have strong currents.If you want to go in the water ask a lifeguard or tourist info. for good places to take a mask & fins.

There are alot of cool places on Kauai,highly reccom.take the trip upcountry Koke'e.The road will take you past Waimea Canyon at the top of the road there are some wonderful shorter ridge hikes that look down into the steep valley's.If you drive to the end of the road on oceanside the Kalalau valley lookout bring your camera's.A pair of binoculars comes in handy too.The Alakai Swamp is up there as well,which gets the highest rainfall on Earth.The whole area up there is special.One of the highest for natural plants,trees,& Birdlife that have dissappeared throughout most of the islands.You should bring lite waterproof Parka's in case you get caught in some rain.

Their are many fine tourist activities availible.Or you can get a car cruise & site see on your own.I am sure you will have a great trip:)

Few more things at Kokee state park.There is the natural history museum with hiking info. & Kokee lodge has restrooms & food.Sometimes you have to park & hike to the lookouts.Always bring water even on short hikes & some food for longer ones.If you don't already have one get a Kauai guide book.

Good tips from Keith. And leave your watch at home, things have their own speed in the neighbor islands. I need to go back there, too, my favorite island so far.

Stefan

My CDC just got back from his honeymoon there. I'll ask him today.
If you have your own, definitely take mask & fins. That Hawaiian H2O is no joke!

we visited a POI factory there. they were so nice. we just walked in and they showed us around. me and a buddy...our fiances were not interested so they stayed in the car. we ended up gone way too long. i bet we bought 6 tubs each to freeze and take home.

hope you are renting a car. we found a nice family restaurant there. for the life of me, i cant remember the name!! just drive around. i wanted a slingshot to dipatch a chicken..they look tasty! hahah

have fun.

If you're fit, have good balance, and don't mind roughing it, then the hike and stay at Kalalau Beach is like nothing else. The wild boar barbecue at the farmer's market is some of the finest swine I've had. There's no snakes, but you will see giant centipedes.

Edit: Missed that you went in November. So how was the trip?

Back