Hello all!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Lui

Reaction score
Hi All,

Registered a few weeks ago and just started reading, as a chef it’s not often I get time to read things or post, so it is a genuine pleasure to catch up on other people’s opinions a kitchen knives.

JJ

Welcome JJ.
I see on your profile page that your knives were stolen. Let me know either here or via PM(I don't know if you have enough posts to use PM feature yet) if there's anything you need. I have a lot of knives to give away. Would love to help out.

JJ when Dave replied to you the way he did, and subsequently seeing your post in the Takeda thread (in addition to my lack of things to do yesterday), I googled your name. You're an instructor at Hyde Park, correct?

Safe to say you know more about cookery than I ever will...but this place is about knives.

That Takeda digging into the cutting board only means it's sharper and thinner than any knife you've had. We don't use oil stones around here. We don't sharpen with only edge trailing or leading strokes. We don't use thick German steels. We don't rock...we don't hone. Welcome to the rabbit hole. Take the red pill.

Welcome JJ.
I see on your profile page that your knives were stolen. Let me know either here or via PM(I don't know if you have enough posts to use PM feature yet) if there's anything you need. I have a lot of knives to give away. Would love to help out.

That is extremely nice of you!! Although I have now managed to patch together a good few knifes, but you know what its like when knifes you have had for decades...it was not even their money value, they were not even what would now be considered top end knifes...

JJ when Dave replied to you the way he did, and subsequently seeing your post in the Takeda thread (in addition to my lack of things to do yesterday), I googled your name. You're an instructor at Hyde Park, correct?

Safe to say you know more about cookery than I ever will...but this place is about knives.

That Takeda digging into the cutting board only means it's sharper and thinner than any knife you've had. We don't use oil stones around here. We don't sharpen with only edge trailing or leading strokes. We don't use thick German steels. We don't rock...we don't hone. Welcome to the rabbit hole. Take the red pill.

Hi Gravy Power

To answer your first question what was stolen, a full set of Gustav emil urn, a few early western style Japanese knifes and some random proto types I was trying out for some sponsors. However they were mine which were put together personally by me…..

Almost all my knifes nowdays are employer provided, sponsored sets or gifts. Some of which are German steel and some Japanese, bit of a mixture really, and sharpened in a mixture of ways. Currently at work I use an I.O. Shen 270 gyuto and a JKC 63 Damascus gyuto which are my current main work horses and have been for a while.

In all honesty I really wanted to like the Takeda, to put it into perspective it is probably the first knife I have actually paid for in over 10 years, with the aim of building a collection again, which I have personally chosen…

I take note on your point of why it bites into the wood, but I do have other Japanese knifes which are equally as sharp and thinner which do not do it, could it be the factory sharpening grind or the shape of the knife, which is perhaps making me push it into the board more than other knifes? Interestingly all youtube videos and other online videos of a Takeda being used, everybody is using simple push cuts, on an onion and not pushing or pulling the knife.

When I get time i’ll be posting the sale of the Takeda on here.

I am about to order more knives which I am focused on personal customs or top end, with the one clause they must be western styles. Any suggestions?

Order a custom from one of the many Bladesmiths here

Hi friends my name is FizaMalik. i am new here i recently join this great community this is great forum to get information i read out all the threads on this forum and get pretty knowledge and also shared my knowledge in this forum....

Back