Good evening (goedenavond) from the Netherlands

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikz

Reaction score
Good evening guys and girls! I'm Erik from the Netherlands. I live in the nice and cozy city of Leiden, I work as an acoustic engineer near Amsterdam. I'm an enthusiastic home cook and scotch single malt whisky lover. Over the last two years I've discovered the beautiful world of kitchen knives. I started out with a Global G2 as these were easy to get here, but I quickly shifted to better knives from the land of the rising sun. Owning 2 Yaxell factory knives (Zen 165mm Santoku and 255mm Guyuto) My most loved knife is my Takeda 150mm Honesuki, which I have recently purchased directly from Takeda.

I also bought a EP Chosera kit on the CKTG forums and I'm now teaching myself to sharpen my knives. I've started on the Global because it's no bigg loss if I mess that up ;) I'm now trying to get my hands on some old knives and see how I can reprofile those and give them a nice 50/50 bevel. I have a few AluOxide lower grit stones for that. After that I'll see if any of you handle makers out here could help me to fix some handles on them, but that will be no earlier than 2014.

Hope to learn lots of you guys here and just enjoying my overall experience reading the topics.

As a bonus; a few pictures of my cozy home town - the town were Rembrandt van Rijn was born and painted most of his paintings:
Dulle_Brug_Oude_Rijn_Leiden.jpg

leiden4.jpg

Leiden%20(46).jpg

Welcome Erik,

got some love for single malt, too.

Welcome aboard! Love the pics!
My girlfriend got me to live in this city, I have no regrets. I come from the east of the country, also very nice, but I like our lil city. Here's a few bonus pictures:

Don't know if any one knows it our here, but the Pilgrim Fathers used to live in Leiden, for 11 years or so. This here was the church they used:
de-pieterskerk-bezienswaardigheden-1(p:location,637)(c:0).jpg

kerst-op-de-hooglandse-kerkgracht-leiden-nl-75758.jpg

Here's an old city plan, I live in the old part of the city, near the forking rivers in the center:
leiden.jpg

Ook goeienavond, Erik, en welkom in dit gekkenhuis. Mooie plaatjes uit LB trouwens.
Bedankt! Good to see more Dutchies here!

Welcome Erik. Just don't mix the malt and the steel.
I've once done that and it got me a good old cut. Pro was that I could disinfect the wound with some scotch :)

welcome, that's a very nice hometown indeed
Thanks man!

Welcome Erik,

got some love for single malt, too.
I especially love the Islays and a few Highland malts; Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain, Bowmore, Port Askaig, Highland Park, Bruichladdich, Laphroaig and a few more. Collecting nice vintages is really addicting and expensive.

To you all I didn't quote, thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Macallan, Glenrothes, Highland Park, Michel Couvreur are my favorites. Haven't found access to the islays, yet.
Except for external application :).

Hi Erik, van harte welkom!
Bedankt! Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

The more I read here, the more I see how little I know about knives, sharpening and knife makers. Thanks for the learning possibilities!

welkom,maar als je single malts gedronken hebt blijf je best ver weg van je japanse messen=slechte combinatie

welkom,maar als je single malts gedronken hebt blijf je best ver weg van je japanse messen=slechte combinatie
I know, no using of Malts before or during cutting chores!

Thanks guys. I'll post some more as times goes by. See if I can capture some of the coming winter season myself.

Latest posts

Back