Quantcast
Watanabe users or connoisseurs... Is this just normal? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watanabe users or connoisseurs... Is this just normal?

Hi at all... Finally all is going well, I'll send the knife to him and he will straight it. He even offer me that to return me the cash, but for me with the straight is ok.

Namaste.

I wouldn't call it bent, the handle just isn't mounted dead on. I have several knives where the handles are a few degrees off...doesn't bother me any.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I wouldn't call it bent, the handle just isn't mounted dead on.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I wouldn't call it bent, the handle just isn't mounted dead on. I have several knives where the handles are a few degrees off...doesn't bother me any.

Hi, thank you for the opinion in this thread. Can you explain a little bit more that the handle isn't mounted dead on?...

Namaste.

The steel itself is not bent, it was not inserted perfectly square with the handle. Guessing the hole was likely drilled at a weird angle.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    The steel itself is not bent, it was not inserted perfectly square with the handle. Guessing the hole was likely drilled at a weird angle.
    Thank you... Yes, maybe is that the problem.

Namaste.

I've seen and owned so many wa-handled knives with slightly crooked handle mounts that it doesn't bother me anymore. If that were my knife, I wouldn't bothered sending it back.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I've seen and owned so many wa-handled knives with slightly crooked handle mounts that it doesn't bother me anymore. If that were my knife, I wouldn't bothered sending it back.
    + 1

If it bugs you to the point that you aren't happy, then sending it back is the right thing to do - no question. However, I bet a wooden mallet into the bottom of the handle might fix things. I bet it's just a bit askew, inside the tang slot.

In regards to seeing many handle mounted that way, I have a couple little things to say. The first is that I have a knife by one of the most respected makers out there with a crooked installation. The handle is gorgeous, as is the blade, but if you really look and dissect each part of the knife, you can see that the blade is turned a couple of degrees. In use, it's nothing. Visually, it's not even noticeable unless you're staring the knife down like a weirdo, for over a minute. Or, as I call it, "QC".

Also, I had a knife for my site, by Adam Marr that ended up with a turned handle, and an uneven machi gap. The blade shifted during glue-up, and when I asked Adam about it, he told me to keep the knife and to hang tight for a replacement. He was good on his word, and I sold the original, donating the money to charity. Adam has a fan forever, in me, as a result. Shinichi knows how important a happy customer is, and he followed up and righted a mistake (regardless of the actual severity). Good for him.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a Watanabe Pro Nakiri that came with a twisted/bent looking mount.
    Was told on another forum that it was not unusual for that class of knife.
    Never had time to get used to it before I met Mike Henry on this forum and had him put a great handle on it!

Glen

+ Reply to Thread