Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watanabe users or connoisseurs... Is this just normal?

hitting the handle wont fix this... it requires a bit more than that, but its not impossible to fix.

Thank you very much for the opinions. Finally I'm going to send it back for straight, let's see what Watanabe can do.

I really prefer it straight but I respect all opinions and if some people don't cares about that his knives are straight or not is just their election and very respectable.

I'm not a handmade knife expert, that's for sure because I don't have "many" (If it is an indispensable requirement to be), but I understand a little bit physics laws and... What happens if you have a blade inclined on the vertical one of the handle?

Since I understand, when we speak of cutting an object with a knife we are speaking about "dynamics" and the direction of the force (Fn + V). I am not going to enumerate the forces that intervene in the process but it is easy to feel that the correct way is more near of the unique vector obtained across the force of displacement than 2 vectors.

I mean, if the force of displacement exercised across the handle coincides with the vertical one of the blade, then we will obtain an unique vector of direction, if not, we will obtain 2, just the first one that coincide with the handle axis and the second who coincides with the spine of the blade. The result is an interaction of vectors and an inefficient way of using the force. Unless we displace the knife with a lateral movement of arm, which is not the natural way of doing it, but here already we would enter in the area of the efficiency of the human motor skills.

So... I understand that in handmade things is almost impossible go to the perfect dynamic, there are many industrial constructions with no perfect straight. Then, at this point... Which is the grade of tolerance that has each one with regard to this? ... Well, mine is that at least this inclination is not obvious to simple sight, I think that it is not to ask too much.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mundo View Post
    Thank you very much for the opinions. Finally I'm going to send it back for straight, let's see what Watanabe can do.

I really prefer it straight but I respect all opinions and if some people don't cares about that his knives are straight or not is just their election and very respectable.

I'm not a handmade knife expert, that's for sure because I don't have "many" (If it is an indispensable requirement to be), but I understand a little bit physics laws and... What happens if you have a blade inclined on the vertical one of the handle?

Since I understand, when we speak of cutting an object with a knife we are speaking about "dynamics" and the direction of the force (Fn + V). I am not going to enumerate the forces that intervene in the process but it is easy to feel that the correct way is more near of the unique vector obtained across the force of displacement than 2 vectors.

I mean, if the force of displacement exercised across the handle coincides with the vertical one of the blade, then we will obtain an unique vector of direction, if not, we will obtain 2, just the first one that coincide with the handle axis and the second who coincides with the spine of the blade. The result is an interaction of vectors and an inefficient way of using the force. Unless we displace the knife with a lateral movement of arm, which is not the natural way of doing it, but here already we would enter in the area of the efficiency of the human motor skills.

So... I understand that in handmade things is almost impossible go to the perfect dynamic, there are many industrial constructions with no perfect straight. Then, at this point... Which is the grade of tolerance that has each one with regard to this? ... Well, mine is that at least this inclination is not obvious to simple sight, I think that it is not to ask too much.

Namaste.
    You're over thinking the human kinetics of a knife with a small deviation.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    You're over thinking the human kinetics of a knife with a small deviation.
    Yeah, you are right if you mean that I'm a bit exaggerating the effect (because the bent is not on many degrees) but the cause is still there on that deviation. I mean both vectors of direction are still presents and if we should apply the sufficient force the trend would be to increasing this deviation.

Of course there are margins of tolerance and functionality, I conform if it is not obvious to the eye.

Namaste.

I am pretty much with Mundo, if this can be fixed it should be fixed. We are not talking about $5 knife here. If somebody has a tolerance to this issue this is fine with me as well.