Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watanabe users or connoisseurs... Is this just normal?

Watanabe users or connoisseurs... Is this just normal?

Hello to all, recently I bought a Watanabe Gyuto 180mm and just arrived this morning. I was extracting it of the box when immediately I can see that the blade is not straight with respect the handle, just a few degrees "heeling" to the right side (looking at the spine)...The fact is the knife is not straight at the longitudinal axis.

Something noticeable to the eye if you check it for a minut. Also the "machi" is unregular wich is more "fatty" on one side than the other, as if it was involved (just to the right).

That's the reality, the knife is not straight. I'm sorry if I don't use the correct words to explain the concept because I have not could find a similar case in the forum. So, I attach you some photos in order that you could see it.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Is my first gyuto, I own yanagi (just from Watanabe and no happens the same), nakiri, hankotsu, petty and some other westerns, but my first handmade gyuto. Also have a Shun Elite Chef Knife 210mm to which the same thing was happening, as you can see in the photos, I wrote to Shun Co. and they said to me that it was not normal and had to be a fault of manufacture, they me changed it into new other one immediately.

What you think about it?... Does it happen to your Gyuto knives something similarly?

Namaste.

The knife looks to be very old by the handle, what kind of handle is that? Definitely see the bend, did you purchase direct from Watanabe?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Yeah, I did. The handle is kind of burn chesnut... Have you seen that bend usually?

Namaste.

It's bent, drop whoever you bought it from an email with a picture and they should sort it for you.

I honestly can't tell much from the photos but if you bought it directly from Watanabe it won't be a problem. Send Shinichi an email and he will make things right for you.

Thank you for the opinions... I just wrote yesterday night to Sin and he told me that it is normal thing is his knives... He also told me that them always set the handle like the angle. It is from human engineering. After using a few months, he suppose I will understand why the handle turn a little bit right. He said me that "Your elbow, wrist and shoulder will not tiered."

By the way, he supposes I'm right handled... What if I'm left?...

I don't know what to think about, everything points at a nonsense.

What you recommend to do?

Namaste

An oddity for sure and to have it happen to you twice... unreal.
    This is one of his custom jobs? Can you show a pic of the full blade?
    Long live Carbon!!

The asymmetric machi is normal, and I've seen it on several knives (especially Shigefusas). The bend is not normal, despite what Shinichi says. I've straightened several like that successfully, but I'm crazy and would never recommend that you try to straighten it. Send it back and ask Shinichi to straighten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mundo View Post
    By the way, he supposes I'm right handled... What if I'm left?...
    He likely supposes that because you didn't say otherwise...or order a lefty knife.

Quote Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
    An oddity for sure and to have it happen to you twice... unreal.
    This is one of his custom jobs? Can you show a pic of the full blade?
    More than an oddity is like.. What can I do with the minor prejudice for my economy, you know that send to him and then come back with new custom issues... The knife is just this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgFg__pfxKI

Quote Originally Posted by cord_steele View Post
    The asymmetric machi is normal, and I've seen it on several knives (especially Shigefusas). The bend is not normal, despite what Shinichi says. I've straightened several like that successfully, but I'm crazy and would never recommend that you try to straighten it. Send it back and ask Shinichi to straighten it.

I'm a little bit crazy too... In the case I'd decide to do, how I must to proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    He likely supposes that because you didn't say otherwise...or order a lefty knife.

For sure, the left knives are more expensives... But the fact is that bent is not normal even for right handlers.

I'm going to write him and say that my elbow, wrist and shoulder don't worries me a lot at the moment and that I'd prefer it straight and what can we do.

Namaste