Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: HHH Knives Prebuy 240mm AEB-L Gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by cheflarge View Post
    DUDE!!!
    DUUUUDE!!!!!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

SWEEET!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Im getting excited!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH Production photo 6654.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	20784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH production 1221.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	20785  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HHH Production 234561.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	20786  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

What oil if any do you recommend for upkeep of your handles?

I like mineral oil. Or you can use a good board wax. which is usually a combination of oil and bees wax. Either will do a good job. the added wax gives a longer lasting polish.

Availible Knives

*sigh*

longing.....

Quote Originally Posted by RGNY View Post
    *sigh*

longing.....
    Tell me about it!!

Im SO READY for these knives to be here!

Name:	HHH production 1221.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	20787  

Availible Knives

I've read that Rosewood doesn't take stabilizing, but that Rosewood burl is softer and should be stabilized. What's your opinion about that?

Good question. I could answer with a quick. NO or YES but what fun would that be?

Honduran Rosewood does not need stabilization. And is a very dence hardwood that is naturally oily, or has a natural resin that makes it very water resistant and also allows it to polish up beautifully!! There is a rare exception, When the wood has been dead for a long time and left either in the ground or laying in a area where its exposed to the elements for a very long time before its harvested for use.. Often these pieces of rosewood are from the trunk and even the roots.
    So if the tree was cut 40 years ago and then someone comes behind and pulls the stumps (which happens as land is developed or mined.) These pieces can and do have various amounts of decay, spalted and rotten wood. In this case. Some suppliers are trying to stabilize it with mixed results. So even after stabilization.. The results are sketchy..

I have tested stabilized rosewoods and cocobolo. and my opinion is. There is still some work to be done to make this sort of wood a GOOD usable handle. So far. Im not convinced that its viable or worth the effort for medeocure results.. The pieces that do seem like stabilization "worked". Were not really "bad" to begin with. To this date. The pieces I tested were not up to my standards.. Just sayin.. So, if someone blows smoke about a "secret" stabilization process, or whatnot. I would approach with caution if your gona put it on a knife and put your name on it.

To summarize, I have found that natural rosewood is among the most stable woods available. and does not benefit from or take stabilization.

Is the burl softer then the straight grain wood? It can be. But this is the case with just about every species that has a burl. Its just the nature of the beast.

God Bless
    Randy

Name:	HHH Production photo 6654.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	20789  

Availible Knives

Wow these are amazing. so so happy i got in on this!