Quantcast
Why do you love your Shig?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you love your Shig?

Why do you love your Shig?

I've never tried a Shigefusa gyuto but these knives clearly have a devoted following here. Trolling around the site, I've clearly seen the love, but haven't been able to get a handle (no pun intended) on what it's about.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

1. Painstaking attention to detail in fit and finish.
    2. Beautiful grinds. In years of following his stuff, I've heard only 1 report of an overgrind.
    3. He's the best polisher in the business--especially on single bevels. If you ever get a chance to fondle one of his yanagibas or mukimonos, you'll be hooked.
    4. His knives are great cutters.

I wish he worked in stainless, but you can't have everything.

the steel and edge retention is amazing. and what the heck is it?!??!?!! i think thats part of the fun that it is a mystery. the only shig i own is a KU finish so i dont know about his polishing but from pics they just look amazing. I have also heard that his yanagis are slightly thinner than most and that makes me want one so much more badly than i did in the beginning.

shigefusa is just badass. its like get a lamborghini or something, it just looks cool and performs like a super knife!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Honestly, I don't think that you could make a quantitative argument as to why they are that much more special than many other knives in the same price range. They have virtues and trade offs just like any other knife, but for some people (myself included), the whole is more than just the sum of the parts / specs. It's unquestionably an excellent tool from a functional perspective, but it's the intangibles and the things that really don't have much to do with function that I think make them so special to some people.

When you enter into the shig price range for any knife, emotion and warm, tingly, intangible feelings start to play more of a part in the decision making process than any practical reason.

Some knives just have an "x" factor, just like you hear car reviews talk about soul and passion when explaining their love for a car that's really nothing unique on paper, I think the same applies to knives.

I think that "art" is an easy thing to understand because it has nothing to do with utility, or function and everything to do with emotion and experience.
    "Tools" are also easy to understand because they are defined by their function and utility.

Where things get tricky is when we start to mix our tools with our art. The dialectic of reason and emotion is difficult thing to get your head around and articulate well.

For me, the beauty in shig is that it's perfect and flawless in a way that's still distinctly organic, and human. When really analyzing the components there's nothing that's radically different from many other makers, yet they are still unmistakable and distinctive. The feel in-hand and then feed back on stones or when gliding though product is also just somehow "special"; it just feels really nice.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

It has something special that's hard to explain on top of being a great cutter and great edge retention. My sous chef who is recently getting into jknives the last few months and looks at all my stuff. He imidiately was drawn to the shig and Marko gyutos for the way they felt in hand, looked and the X factor. First he picked out the shig as his favorite and I let him use it. A few weeks later the Marko and he said this reminds me of the shig. That's coming from someone in the business but not yet one of us. It just has "it"

Intangibles.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Intangibles.
    I feel the same way about my rehandled tanaka... there's just something about it that makes me reach for it more often than most.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

easy as hell to sharpen (feels awesome on stones) and takes the most keen edge. let mine go as i didn't feel it was durable enough for workhorse duties. it's a finesse knife and i cant afford to keep luxuries like that.

I think that they are just the ultimate tools. Beautiful and functional. I have 7 of his knives from muki to debas x3, custom wa handle honesuki maru to gyuto and yanagiba all in kitaeji and I don't think I will ever need any other knives. I use them day in and out in the pro kitchen, that is what they are for.

If they did a san mai in SS in would be END GAME!!!!

+ Reply to Thread