D handle on Western Knives???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Saw a handle Chris (NoChop) made here and thought to myself, why not make a D for a Western knife? Forgecraft made handles that were straight (without a hook).

Mine D would be similar to wa version, tapered on all sides, will have ferrule taper on both sides, ridge on the left or right side, oval in shape, and will have an angled butt.

I got to give a credit for this to Chris. Somehow this idea never entered my head till I have seen his work. Granted it is not true D, but in that picture (see link above) it looks like a D.

Thoughts?

M

Will they still have bolsters Marko? I think the D looks really great with a thin bolster/ferrule, but if not on a Western it will look kind of naked from what I'm picturing.

It will probably have 1/4 metal tip/guard.

I come to think that Rick (Theory) had a handle in mind that combined a coca-cola shape with an octagonal shape, kind of a Western/Wa hybrid.

I am going to make one Thursday/Friday and see how it comes out.

I vote yes to anything involving your D-shaped handles. I absolutely love mine.

I am going to try to kill two birds with one stone - make a heavy chefs and a Western D. Pics soon.

I made one knife with a hybrid Western/D handle and for a while, haven't revisited this project.

Recently, I had a friend stopping by who is a big D fan and after talking to him, I decided to give this handle another try. My personal is for a knife to have a very short neck. D handle in my opinion offers a very good control of a knife, so by combining these two features, I might be able to arrive at my optimal knife.

More on it soon.

M

Would you say you love the D?

Sorry, on a serious note. My problem with D shape is they're so often small. Western D is an interesting proposition.

The only thing wrong with this is that it wasn't my idea ;) Should be interesting.

Stefan

I have gradually shifted making D handles larger. I think the first time I have held Kramer's D, I thought it was humongous, not I think mine are getting close to that size.

Now need to decide to make it two-tone or one tone. Brass guard.

M

Marko, have you consider double D handle? its one of most comfortable handle I've tried. best of all, double D handle suitable for either right or left handed users!
20140313_184343_mh1394761631100_zpsf21103ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Marko, have you consider double D handle? its one of most comfortable handle I've tried. best of all, double D handle suitable for either right or left handed users!
20140313_184343_mh1394761631100_zpsf21103ec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No, I have not, but I might give it a try at some later time.

Thanks,

M

Back