Watanabe Pro line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
Been away from the forum awhile, but once I got my Shig seemed all my questions were answered :) Anyway I was wondering what the opinions are of the grind of the Watanabe Pro line (blue steel core, SS clad, kurouchi)? Anyone think it will rival my Shig? I love my Shig, and more or less have a handle on the reactivity, but the SS cladding on the Watanabe caught my interest. I mostly slice, but do some chopping now, particularly with the tip. I find the weight of the Shig, especially at the tip to really help with that, and it looks like Watanabe uses a similar profile. Opinions?

The largest you can get in that style is the 180. More in direct competition with the shig would be the iron clad pro line in the larger sizes....

They show a 210mm in kurouchi for Y22.5k here. Actually if it is SS clad, Kasumi is fine too. I'm guessing the 210mm listed for Y25.5K here is the kasumi SS clad?

They show a 210mm in kurouchi for Y22.5k here. Actually if it is SS clad, Kasumi is fine too. I'm guessing the 210mm listed for Y25.5K here is the kasumi SS clad?

No, NoChop is right - kurouchi stainless-clad blue only 120-180mm (i.e. the knives listed at the top of the page only).

The long list with the 210-270mm gyutos - both the kurouchi and kasumi knives are soft iron clad.

Someone enquired about a longer SS clad knife (albeit ages ago) and he said no.

hmmm...well that's bunk. Guess I'll just have to live with this crummy Shig :)

Back