Collector's Gyuto: 240 vs 270 & Stainless vs Carbon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proventheory

Reaction score
Hunting for my first gyuto that will be a for display art.

Had some questions:

1. 240 vs 270 mm?

2. Stainless vs Carbon?

3. Wood handle vs Bone handle?

Thanks for your opinions!

Display art? Than stainless, 270 and bone. Prefereably ss damascus from Del, Randy, Devin, Bill B or Will C, or maybe Lische (sp?)

My gut says get something from WillC my head says something from Devin

1 depends what you can afford, I would go 270
2 depends if you want to oil it, stainless restricts the makers
3 I like wood, what do you like?

5711660_orig.jpg

See picture above - WillC has been making some unbelievable pieces of late - check out his picture gallery and work in progress threads in his subforum here.

I vote oil, canvas, 19th century.

Then use a pretty $2k gyuto to make dinner.

I vote oil, canvas, 19th century.

Then use a pretty $2k gyuto to make dinner.

Lol +1

Better yet, send me the knife, and Ill send you back a nice framed print of it for your wall.... and a monthly letter from your knife telling you how much fun its having in my kitchen.

Yes!
Display "Art" ????

Jay Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Hunting for my first gyuto that will be a for display art.

Had some questions:

1. 240 vs 270 mm?
Whatever is within your budget and catches your eye.

2. Stainless vs Carbon?
If you go carbon, put a coat of camellia oil on it to protect from rust. That includes the exposed core of clad carbon blades. Stainless won't need the oil. They look the same on a shelf.

3. Wood handle vs Bone handle?
Whatever is within your budget and catches your eye. There are plenty more options than just wood and bone. Micarta, mammoth ivory, water buffalo horn, stag horn, nickel silver or copper spacers, mosaic pins... A custom handle can be swapped in later.

Thanks for your opinions!

Yes!
Display "Art" ????

Jay Fisher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Actually it's Batma...errr...Rusty who makes the serrated-tip chef knives.
[video=youtube_share;IKEbFe0Kyrw]http://youtu.be/IKEbFe0Kyrw[/video]
just skip to 3:05

But if what you're after is a incredible amount of skill and material used create a product that's most functional as a focus for visual awe and bewilderment, then you may have to leave the kitchen a bit or broaden your definition of "seafood knife" as I don't know if you can do any better than the Whale v Squid-Knife featured at 7:30 in the vid.
fisher%2520whale%2520v%2520squid.jpg

Actually it's Batma...errr...Rusty who makes the serrated-tip chef knives.
[video=youtube_share;IKEbFe0Kyrw]http://youtu.be/IKEbFe0Kyrw[/video]
just skip to 3:05

But if what you're after is a incredible amount of skill and material used create a product that's most functional as a focus for visual awe and bewilderment, then you may have to leave the kitchen a bit or broaden your definition of "seafood knife" as I don't know if you can do any better than the Whale v Squid-Knife featured at 7:30 in the vid.
fisher%2520whale%2520v%2520squid.jpg

Thats just absolutely beautiful... This must have taken quite some time to realise.

I always wondered who made the BEST chef knives.....now I know!:D

Back