opinions on zakuri,kochi,kanehiro and other sujis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i started a new job recently and ive found that i actually need a suji more than a gyuto or any other knife. im slicing alot of cooked protiens along with some other slicing tasks. i really need to upgrade my sujihiki. ive been looking at this kochi
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...ujihiki/kochi-270mm-kurouchi-wa-sujihiki.html
or this zakuri
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...der-270mm-aogami-super-kurouchi-yanagiba.html
or maybe even a kanehiro stainless clad with AS steel.
anybody had experience with any of these sujis? basically im in the market for a $300ish carbon suji 270mm in length. i would like to hear some recommendations besides these knives if youve worked with something else impressive. and yes, ill probably send jon a PM soon. thanks.

My boss's yoshikane 270 suji is pretty awesome if you can find one. I am very happy with my yoshi gyuto.

Is that Kochi KU or Migaki?

Kochi Migaki has always interested me...and since I have a billion great gyutos...maybe a Kochi Migaki suji would be nice. Cause I only have 4 great sujis.

Is that Kochi KU or Migaki?

Kochi Migaki has always interested me...and since I have a billion great gyutos...maybe a Kochi Migaki suji would be nice. Cause I only have 4 great sujis.

v2 steel with kurouchi finish. i need to PM jon about checking out a photo of it too i guess.lol

what about the takeda that you sold? if i remember correctly you said you had no use for such a knife. :D i bought one shortly after and i got to say its pretty amazing, besides that its to easy to bend. it really needs more attention then my zakuri.

what about the takeda that you sold? if i remember correctly you said you had no use for such a knife. :D i bought one shortly after and i got to say its pretty amazing, besides that its to easy to bend. it really needs more attention then my zakuri.
ive switched jobs simce then. i regret selling it.

I love the zakuri knife you mentioned above. (I bought the exact same knife here on BST). It takes a great edge extremely easily, holds it a good long time, and is a robust knife (not thin). It also takes a gorgeous patina with proteins. I use it in a home environ, but I have taken apart many many proteins, some raw, some cooked, and it is a keeper in my book. Some of the fit and finish is lacking (non-rounded choil/spine) but the handle is gorgeous and comfortable. I keep the kurouchi finish on mine so havent had any reactivity issues, esp with a patina, and having a decently wide bevel makes for ease of sharpening. No experience with the other knives, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this knife.

I love the zakuri knife you mentioned above. (I bought the exact same knife here on BST). It takes a great edge extremely easily, holds it a good long time, and is a robust knife (not thin). It also takes a gorgeous patina with proteins. I use it in a home environ, but I have taken apart many many proteins, some raw, some cooked, and it is a keeper in my book. Some of the fit and finish is lacking (non-rounded choil/spine) but the handle is gorgeous and comfortable. I keep the kurouchi finish on mine so havent had any reactivity issues, esp with a patina, and having a decently wide bevel makes for ease of sharpening. No experience with the other knives, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this knife.
awesome. thanks.

I'm also pretty interested in this, anyone used a gengetsu suji?

One of the things to think about, esp with a narrow bladed knife is the orientation of the edge relative to the handle. If you look at the classic "pure" slicing design (like yanagi), the handle is in line with the spine and the edge runs pretty close to parallel to the spine for most of it's length.
This seems to also be the design with most of what I've seen from Takeda as well as Zak (not sure about kochi due to the lack of pic).

However, being that I use my suji's for more than just pure slicing tasks, I find a bit of a hybrid design to be much more useful. One of the key features is an edge line that is angled "up" to converge with the line of the spine and handle. If you think about what that means in terms of grip / hand position, knuckle clearance and ergonomics, it changes quite a bit. To each there own, but I find it much more comfortable.
Take a look at the way that Ginga does it to see what I mean:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...gesshin-ginga-270mm-white-2-wa-sujihiki.html#
-My wrist just think that looks better for a gyuto alternative.

YMMV

No...
I'm talking about the orientation of the edge (which may be just as flat/ straight as any other slicer) relative to the spine /handle. If you pay attention you will see the same variations in gyutos: some run more parallel to the spine, some run at a more convergent angle. Has nothing to do with belly or curvature and it affects hand / wrist/ elbow position.

Back