Show Us Your Fireplace

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
Winter has arrived in the northeast (sort of) and here's a picture of my fireplace with my first fire of the season. Show us yours.

image.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone.

I can't believe there aren't more members with fireplaces. Come on guys, share.

Two weeks ago we found this guy sleeping in our linen bin.

He's a lot happier now.

That's a beautiful picture, in more ways than one. All my pets have been strays. It's like they really know and appreciate you're taking them in.

Dawgs always know where the best spots are.

First time attaching photos. It wasn't too hard to do!

Here is a good link for anyone having a wood fireplace built or is just curious: http://rumford.com/

The wood is stacked vertically to take advantage of the height and because of the shallow nature of the fireplace. Three logs are all it takes to throw out an enormous amount of heat. The "throat" is designed so that you don't need to start a draft, and the only time I have had smoke come into the room is when it is windy enough to force the air back down. We have fires every night once the temperature drops below 60.

No pics handy, but have a large open wood burning fireplace, and the most helpful purchase I have made to date to make my wood burning more "efficient" was to buy the grate wall of fire fireplace grate. In short, the grate allows the hottest part of the fire (all of the embers at the bottom) to stand vertically and blast heat out and not up. I say "economical" because any open fireplace is probably less efficient than just keeping the flue shut and the central heat on. But for one heck of a warm fire, take a look at this grate - I can honestly say this significantly increases the amount of heat radiated into the room versus my old traditional grate setup. It also looks nicer. I am a weekend warrior, but still burn through 3/4 of a cord a winter and absolutely love this addition.
http://www.gratewalloffire.com/

We cheat and have gas, but it's nice to just be able to walk over, flip a switch, and have a fire. There's a furry ornament at our house, too (another death row rescue.)

Fireplace2.jpg

Not mine obviously, but this fireplace is pretty incredible:

131000991_384790fb71.jpg

Detail on the fireplace:

8388386716_8664cd49d4.jpg

Having grown up in a house with a fireplace and most of my homes as an adult had a fireplace, I thought when we moved to NJ we'd skip the fireplace. Wrong move. Even though I am completely incapable of building a fire, even with a NG fire starter, a fireplace just adds something to the home. The first thing I instantly missed in our NJ home, because of the timing of when we moved, where do we hang the Christmas stockings? D'oh

Now that I'm looking for a new home for myself, if the house doesn't have a fireplace, I'm going to build at least a fake one. Whether it's NG, propane or electric I'm going to have something.

I don't blame you. There's something about a fire going in the middle of winter with snow outside that's just so so nice.

Bill that's a great fireplace you got there. I love the looks of stacked rocks too.
I've long wanted a contra flow heater, just hasn't been in the cards.

I love it Chuck! All that's missing are the franks and marshmellows.

Fireplace at work, more interesting than my little home stove:

IMG_0991_800x600.jpg

Plenty of room to hang a few hocks of venison or boar up there!

Back