Thread: Looking for a very specific stone

Looking for a very specific stone

I am looking for a stone that I can take to work for quick touch ups or full on sharpening if someone else's knife is too dull. I am thinking around the 3k range. I am currently using a Naniwa Green brick for this purpose because of its ability to act like a 2k and a 4k stone. The problem with this is that I can't just leave it in my knife roll because it is huge.

I am thinking about a shapton 3k because it is thin, slow wearing, fast cutting, and splash and go. But if you can think of anything like that that I can use on single bevels too that would be awesome.

All recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Anything I know of that's thin, durable, splash n' go, and fast cutting isn't going to leave a very nice finish on a single bevel.

However, Marko's custom DMT plates or the Atoma's that Dave sells I think check all of the other boxes. Marko's are narrower, but longer so perhaps more bag/ roll friendly, but solid steel so also heavier.
    Diamond plates were a bit of a fad and then fell out of popularity with edgeOphiles because of poor grit consistency, too much diamond fall-out, and just general suckyness. But the edge that you can get off one of these new, good quality plate is really astonishing and I think would surprise some stone snobs.
    If all I had to do was functional touch-ups in a pro environment, then it would be Marko 8K DMT every day.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Anything I know of that's thin, durable, splash n' go, and fast cutting isn't going to leave a very nice finish on a single bevel.

However, Marko's custom DMT plates or the Atoma's that Dave sells I think check all of the other boxes. Marko's are narrower, but longer so perhaps more bag/ roll friendly, but solid steel so also heavier.
    Diamond plates were a bit of a fad and then fell out of popularity with edgeOphiles because of poor grit consistency, too much diamond fall-out, and just general suckyness. But the edge that you can get off one of these new, good quality plate is really astonishing and I think would surprise some stone snobs.
    If all I had to do was functional touch-ups in a pro environment, then it would be Marko 8K DMT every day.
    Yep big +1
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

If you have a strop, DMTs from course and up will be ok, but the green brick is the best stone for the job IMO. You could always cut it in half lengthwise with a tile cutter.

Great thanks. Yeah I knew the single bevel part was a little too demanding.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

The DMT duo fine/xfine will fit your requirements (except SB). Light (relative to water stones), indestructable, splash or not and go. Its my starting point with OP knives. I take mine to deer camp cause its portable and will sharpen anything quickly.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Thanks guys. I think I have solved the problem.

I kept my stones on a lower shelf in the Chef's office.He didn't mind cause I kept his knives sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I kept my stones on a lower shelf in the Chef's office.He didn't mind cause I kept his knives sharp.
    That is a good idea, but I don't think that will work with this job.