Thinnest stainless steel laser?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieStar

Reaction score
Who makes the thinnest stainless steel laser?

Only thing I've been able to find is a Richmond laser in AEB-L. Any other recommendations?

Not much expertise in this arena, but I can recommend my knife: Sakai Yusuke in extra-hard stainless. There's even occasionally an extra-thin version, and you might be able to arrange one through Keiichi even if they're not in stock right now.

A Gesshin Ginga also likely qualifies as a laser.

Suisin Inox Honyaki

+1

Perhaps not THE thinnest...but quite thin and the F+F is impeccable. Very pleased with mine after a couple of years.

I haven't handled it personally, but the Gesshin Ginga is comparable, and possibly a better value.

Didn't Del Ealy do something in what I recall to be AEBL that some said was "too thin"? (And probably the thinnest they had ever seen)

The Gesshin Ginga is thin behind the edge assem. & a good cutter.For me was considering the Yusuke stainless or the Gesshin,went with the Ginga,cuz aready had carbon yusuke.

The Ginga is a fine blade for the coin.

Overall thinness is by no means a definitive indicator of anything other than overall thinness. I have used some knives with crazy thin spines that where crazy terrible in pretty much every aspect of performance.

I'v got the Yusuke special thin in white #2 240 and had the 210 in white too. Sold the 210 but kept the 240. Just is right again, thinness doesn't necessarily the definitive indicator of performance. However, in the cue of Yusuke it does perform quite well. Some stiction on potatoes and shredding cabbage but over ll grey performer. I also have the special thick Yusukes too (210/240) and they can stick sometimes too. Even though the blades are quite thin, there is still some asymmetry present. I've never handled the other knives present but I do know the folks recommending these knives and they know what their talking about.

Overall thinness is by no means a definitive indicator of anything other than overall thinness. I have used some knives with crazy thin spines that where crazy terrible in pretty much every aspect of performance.

+ 1 to this

The thinnest knife in my collection was also the worst cutting knife in my collection.

A knife that flexes at that handle isn't a laser. It's something else.

Laser is at the edge and above, while spine can have enough thickness to make it feel like a knife.

Lasers are often flat ground with convexed edge make great food magnets.

M

not sure how thin the other knives you guys mentioned are but my tanaka r2 gyuto is the thinnest gyuto ive used much thinner than my kono hd

I had to have my Dt. Itk reworked, I would throw it in the laser category now.

Back