Left handed shun?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a left handed 7" classic shun santoku at an open box discount store. Did not even know that left handed shuns were a thing. It is in new condition and only $50. My question is as a right handed person would this be okay for light home use. It has such a small D shape to the handle it really seems to have no difrence to me. I could see how over long term use the handle could be uncomfortable but for small home use I see it as a non issue. Thought other than shuns are garbage would be appreciated. I could always get and try and return it to bed bath and beyond for a right handed one. :D

As far as I know, the only difference between RH and LH Shuns is the handle; there is no difference in the grind of the blade.

Bottom line, if it works for you, go for it.

If the deal is too good to pass up, then go for it. I am a lefty who has been using three different right handed Shun classics for many years. No issues for me. Of course, YMMV.

My "gateway" knife was a friend's lefty classic petty (they call it utility). Good knife for trimming loins. I subsequently bought the same knife in righty and still use it occasionally. As noted grind is same and D is just enough to be a marketing gimmick. But a santoku??? :cool2:

Pretty sure you can probably find a right-handed Shun on ebay for nearly the same price, if not a little more. As you note, here will get the same advice over, and over, and over, and over again here....but you can do much better. There are very strong legs behind that, but Shun's have their use.

Actually, the only one you'll find on ebay for less then $100 is a used one. Nothing wrong with a Shun for the right price, and I'd say $50 is the right price. Go for it. If you don't like it, sell it on the bay:pirate1:

Be well,
Mikey

I'm a lefty but ambidextrous, and end up using my right hand for kitchen knives a bit more than my left.

I have a left handed Shun paring knife and a right handed Shun pairing knife. The difference in feel in the "incorrect" hand for the handedness of the knife is quite noticeable. It shouldn't be an issue if all you are using the knife for is a few minutes of cutting.

On the other hand (haha) if you end up doing an extended amount of cutting with a wrong handed knife, it will become quite uncomfortable.

Shun's aren't bad knives, and for $50 you probably aren't taking much of a gamble at all on it. I'd say for it.

Back