Magic marker trick getting rid of the magic marker?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier how Jon use of the "magnum" sharpie made the process that much smoother but the magnum sharpie only exacerbated a problem I have always had: which was finding an easy way of getting rid of any residual magic marker.

Since I use this trick all the time, this was actually a PITA waiting to be ended. After much experimentation with different cleaners, the best way I have found is - isopropyl alcohol - it works like a charm.

But I do wonder if anyone has a favorite method for removing residual magic marker they would like to share...

WD 40 works on almost everything.

I know this is not popular to say,but I am not a fan of beginners tips.They can become excess habits.I do teach observation,steady spine & even burr heel to tip.Fingerpad pressure on trailing stroke.

When I learned sharpening fr. Sushi Chefs,no beginners tips & a bit of a language barrer,but their english was good enough,I picked it right away & haven't had to use a dull knife since.

I know this is not popular to say,but I am not a fan of beginners tips.They can become excess habits.I do teach observation,steady spine & even burr heel to tip.Fingerpad pressure on trailing stroke.

When I learned sharpening fr. Sushi Chefs,no beginners tips & a bit of a language barrer,but their english was good enough,I picked it right away & haven't had to use a dull knife since.

+1

That's how I work the best as well -- just jump in, make a hell of a lot of mistakes until you get it right, and learn properly without a handicap. Everything else is a crutch.

The magic marker is great for detecting different (micro-)bevels on an unknown or new knife. And for diagnosis if everything went wrong, which, of course, never happens.

The big sharpie (or even small one) is a tool I have in my toolbox. It doesn't come out every-time but its good to know its there.

Both ethanol and methanol work very well for this purpose. I hope your vodka does not contain too much of the last.

Back