konosuke sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't offer any alternatives in its price range, but I personally did not care for my Kono suji; it was far too thin and flexy for what I needed it for.

Masakage, Yoshikane, Takeda...

I'd rather spend a little extra on a Fujiyama for the better grind.

Masakage, Yoshikane, Takeda...

I'd rather spend a little extra on a Fujiyama for the better grind.

masakage even makes a blue steel line for a little over $200. im looking at kochi and zakuri sujis as well as im in the market for one. as awesome as kono sujis are at somethings theyre a little wimpy for all around slicing tasks imo(portioning ribeyes as an example). takeda is probably about $100 more for the same size suji as a kono HD, but worth it.

Might check these out:

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanW1Series.html#FuRinKaZanWhiteSteel#1Series

W1-Sujihiki1.jpg

It's the exact same blade as the "Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji" but half the price. Once Koki sells out of these he wont be getting any more.

Be well,
Mikey

Might check these out:

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FurinkazanW1Series.html#FuRinKaZanWhiteSteel#1Series

View attachment 19744

It's the exact same blade as the "Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji" but half the price. Once Koki sells out of these he wont be getting any more.

Be well,
Mikey
i think this is a good one too. stainless cladding...and with sujis you dont really need to worry about edge retention anyway because youre not banging your edge against the cutting board, just slicing.

I have had a couple of the knives from this line up, no suji though. They have been amazing cutters, easy to sharpen and hold a decent edge for some time. The KU wears off almost in the first week or so, the ferrule is as you put it"unique" and the handles are scary slippery, so much so i had to sand them down. but over all great value.

I have a Mizu 180 gyuto and I hate the handle, I find myself thinking this can't be wood, it has to be plastic. I had no problem getting a good edge on it, but it is fat, and it does wedge. I am not that big a fan, but i bought it as a traninging knife for my sharpening, so that might be just as well.

Ok, so here's the deal. I don't really "need" a slicer. I just happened to see this knosuke hd2 Suji with an ebony handle and it looked great. So, it got me thinking, if I'm going to upgrade I want to do it right. Right now I have an antique sabatier slicer which is nice, and a Mac yanagiba which gets pretty sharp but it's just ok. I bought the Mac as a first foray into single bevel because of its price point (I'm lefty). My guess is, being a lefty, I'm going to get a lot more knife for my dollar buying a suji than a yanagiba. I guess to narrow it down I'm looking for a great slicing knife. I'm thinking 270is going to be the right length. Preferably not stainless. I would be interested in a single or double bevel but I'd like to keep it under 300. I would also like an octagonal handle on a suji rather than a d. It would be great if it either came with a saya or had one easily accessible to it without having something custom made.

New thoughts???

Jesse

You might also like this one. EE gives a forum discount so it'd be right at about $300. It has a D handle but I bet you could work out a deal with Daniel to get him to swap it out. I haven't used the SKD11 these are made of but it's very similar to SLD. I have two Yoshi SLD knives and I love the steel.

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=87723

Be well,
Mikey

Haha the Gesshin Ginga link you sent mkriggen is the other window I have open right now. It does look like a winner. Too bad it's out of stock.

Jesse

Any recommendations on a lefty yanagiba just weigh options. I think that's going to be harder in my price range but if anyone can point me in the right direction it's this forum.

Never tried one, but iirc the maker has a good reputation with forum members...

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85686&photo=2&size=n

You also might want to give Jon at JKI a call. Forum rules wouldn't allow him to respond to this tread, but you'll have a real hard time finding anyone with more product knowledge about the traditional j-knives (he even knows how to pronounce the names correctly).

Be well,
Mikey

Mikey lots of options since he is a lefty like your first Fu Rin Ka Zan,octagon,like those forged blades wt. rough finish.

I don't have HD2 suji, but HD2 Gyuto is a nice knife. The steel is very easy to sharpen and gets very sharp. Edge holding ability is not bad. Semi-Stainless is a bonus and F&F is quite nice for the price range. So alloy wise and F&F you cant go wrong for this price IMHO.

Last edited:
Back