Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling a burr, new trick for fingertip sensitivity impared people

feeling a burr, new trick for fingertip sensitivity impared people

I have an issue with nerves in my fingertips not being sensitive enough to feel a burr easily (or sometimes at all) so I have experimented with many a method to know when it is there.

I have finally found one that works very well so I thought I would share it for anyone out there that has a similar nerve problem.

I hold a blue shop paper towel and run it across the edge, the fibres in the blue paper towel seem to be ideal at grabbing a burr - I found this much better than a regular paper towel or a q-tip or cheesecloth.

A really nice silk tie would probably work too (snags on every other damn thing it touches), or one of your wife's favorite nylons

Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Go on both sides along the edge with the end of your nail, and you will feel any burr remainings.

Sometimes I'll strop my forearm on both sides of the knife. the burr side will grab your skin and the other side of the knife will be smooth
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

If you have very good lighting above your sharpening area I find that one can also see a burr or rough spot along an edge by turn the knife edge side up, and then slowly tilting the blade from right to left until the light catches the edge at a roughly perpendicular angle. The burr will look like bright white sections or lines on the edge.

^^ works well... i use a microfiber cloth... or if all else fails, 60 x magnification LED loupe from fleabay for $2 USD shipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Sometimes I'll strop my forearm on both sides of the knife. the burr side will grab your skin and the other side of the knife will be smooth
    I can just imagine being careless and cutting that nice vein right were my arm bends...brrrrrr.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    its not all that bad of a feeling really...
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

That will be a lesson you won't soon forget. HA Just do it carefully, works for me
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I do have blue shop paper towels and am going to try that, maybe go to Goodwill and pick up the most hideous silk tie I can find also. Sometimes (ok, most of the time) I don't trust my own subjectivity so use an instrument to test, hence the towel or tie.