Removed lacquer on Takeda kurouchi nakiri. Re-lacquer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lightly wiped the lacquer off with some acetone, now I've just read its best to leave it on takeda knives. Ugh. I've used the knife some since then and it doesn't appear to be rusting. Should I be concerned? Is it possible to re-lacquer and what lacquer is used?

Thanks

the lacquer they use in Japan should always be removed prior to use... it is not meant to be left on

I always tell people to strip the lacquer from their knives before use and that's because if you don't then you'll get little bits of lacquer coming off in use and then the patina becomes all ugly and sometimes you even get rust from moisture getting under the remaining loose bits on the blade.

Having said all that, I have an exception for Takedas.

The Takeda lacquer is different in that they apply it thick and it seems to stay put yet if removed the kurouchi easily peels and falls off in bits and then the iron cladding rusts. Now that they're using stainless steel cladding I can't say what I'd do or recommend.

I've never had Takeda korouchi finish peel, and I always took the lacquer off...

wait, so are you guys saying that kurouchi finish should be removed on for example a shigefusa? not needed for protection?

wait, so are you guys saying that kurouchi finish should be removed on for example a shigefusa? not needed for protection?

Absolutely not. This thread is about lacquer applied to the blades.

And what's the best way to remove the lacquer on a Takeda? Acetone? Lighter fuel? Isoprophyl?

Thanks. So the lacquer is just to stop oxidisation and rust? Why not just oil the blade?

the lacquer (which isnt really lacquer at all) also helps protect from finger prints, scratches in transit, and is more stable and longer lasting than oil, while being less messy.

Thanks. So the lacquer is just to stop oxidisation and rust? Why not just oil the blade?

Carbons at work that used all the time did not oil.Now home cook retired,I oil my carbons all the time.Esp. the ones I store,don't want those babies to rust:O

Back