Damascus pettys

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Here are some of the pettys finished.

petty3&4.jpg

petty5.jpg

petty1&2.jpg

Those look really nice! Any chance the one in the second picture (the one by itself) will be available or is it already spoken for?

The one in the second pic is already spoken for, there will be more in the future.
Del

The bottom one in the last pic is spoken for.
Thanks,
Del

One of the petty blades along with its wa handle(by me)
and a pic of just the handle.
Anyone interested in custom handles like this on can contact me by pm, for one of my petty blades or other knives.

rick3.jpg

rick1.jpg

rick2.jpg

one of the petty blades with a custom handle

Great looking handles Del! What are the wood choices? Are you making handles just for your knives or can I buy a handle separately? If these are for sale separately can you do custom woods? Last but not least, what are the sizes of your handles?

Pesky

Del,

I hope it is OK to post a pic of the blade I got from you at the ECG. I was getting impatient working on a wood handle so I went in another direction, perhaps temporarily. I don't have a good pic of the handle yet, but I am calling it the "Home Depot" special. Amazing what you can do with 2 bucks worth of copper pipe...I think Aldo will appreciate it.

delpetty.th.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I gave it a quick and dirty sharpening with a 9 micron belt and .25 micron diamond strop and it cuts like a laser. I am able to cut carrot slices 20 thousandths thick (yes... I miked it). Thanks so much for the great blade. I am having fun with it. -Doug

Stylish! How about a picture of the whole thing?

I am waiting for my wife to bring the real camera home. Phone pics are a poor substitute. I'll have a full handle pic tomorrow. -Doug

Great looking handles Del! What are the wood choices? Are you making handles just for your knives or can I buy a handle separately? If these are for sale separately can you do custom woods? Last but not least, what are the sizes of your handles?

Pesky

Also available are handle kits which consist of a 1 inch square by 4 inches long block of WSSI stabilized wood which will be predrilled a bit oversize to accept the tang of the blade. also included in the kit will be a 1 inch cube of stabilized wood to use as a bolster, this will be undrilled, so you can close fit the tang to this block. Also available will be finished handles, unmounted.
Woods available for handles and bolsters are:
spalted maple
maple burl
redwood burl
black ash burl
oak burl
amboynia burl and california buckeye are available in bolster pieces only
Other woods will be available in the future as I aqquire a greater variety.
The handles in the pics are almost 5 inches one a bit longer than the other; to match the blade length.
I can make handles for other knives as well in the woods listed above, as well as other woods.
thanks,
Del

Del,

I hope it is OK to post a pic of the blade I got from you at the ECG. I was getting impatient working on a wood handle so I went in another direction, perhaps temporarily. I don't have a good pic of the handle yet, but I am calling it the "Home Depot" special. Amazing what you can do with 2 bucks worth of copper pipe...I think Aldo will appreciate it.

delpetty.th.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I gave it a quick and dirty sharpening with a 9 micron belt and .25 micron diamond strop and it cuts like a laser. I am able to cut carrot slices 20 thousandths thick (yes... I miked it). Thanks so much for the great blade. I am having fun with it. -Doug

Thanks for posting that Doug, especially measuring the carrot slices. :viking:

Doug uses a copper pipe for a ferrule and then mics his carrot slices.....somethings off here. :D

Dave, it's not just the ferrule that's made of copper pipe...:)

Petty%252520with%252520pipe.jpg

Petty%252520ferrule%252520detail.jpg

Home%252520Depot%252520Handle.jpg

The "Home Depot" Petty

Dave - I was tempted to solder it, but instead just filled it with 30 min Epoxy.

Ryan - Thanks, I was inspired. It is the first I felt worthy of taking pics.

Pesky - I may have to get another blade from Del to do another one; this one was a lot of fun. I am planning to do some some in W2, but I am notorious for my long term projects--My friends claim I never finish anything and they are close to the mark.

-Doug

doug...i think it'd look even coler if u textured it or aged it....ryan

Doug,
Turned out good, not what I would have done, but it is interesting. I have always liked damascus and copper, but I never would have thought of doing an entire handle out of it, way cool. As for more blades, you know where to find me. ;) :viking:

Ryan - Absolutely. I am going to see what patina develops naturally first. I am experimenting with chemical aids on some of my scrap.

David - I figured that PVC would take too long to develop a patina.

Del - Thanks. It was an experiment. I am sure I will be back for more. However Newegg just took a big chunk on money, so I need to let the funds recover a bit. -Doug

Back