Beatty & Son Meat Cleavers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bid on one on the bay and didn't get it but that got me wondering more about them. Can anyway tell me more about them: what's the steel, how good are they really. If you refurb one do they function better than a comparable CCK cleaver or are they just incredibly cool looking?

TIA

How old of cleaver where you bidding on? Which shape? I use mine to cut down trees with and to crack pigs heads.

Beatty's have numbers stamped on them that indicate the length of cut. A 1.5 lb Beatty is tiny, likely a 0 or maybe even 00. See the illustrations below (taken from catalogs).

Beatty's can't be compared with CCKs unless you want to talk about the splitters because all Beattys are meat cleavers whereas most CCKs are veg cleavers.

All Beattys are old, if memory serves me the last variant of the name stopped making cleavers in the late 1800's. These are some tough ass tools that stood the test of time better than most all of their competition's tools did.

Beatty crop.jpg

Beatty.jpg

These are Beatty's markings (thanks to Colin!)

*Note - T
he graphics representing the markings are not in chronological order.

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%201-9.jpg

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%203-9.jpg

Beatty%20Mark%20Trans%203-9_1.jpg

Back