Interesting knife I just bought on the bay...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought an interesting knife on ebay and wonder if anyone can help me with it. It claims to be hand made from an old file. Tip is rounded not sharp, but otherwise in good shape, not a bad geometry, very French but really dull now.

For example, should I get it rehandled or leave the original handle, any easy way f to find out what kind of ODC its made of?

IMAG0286.jpg
IMAG0283.jpg
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0281.jpg

Doesn't look full tang. Would then need a hidden tang or wa conversion. Also needs some reprofiling as the heel seems low...all very doable, though, just depends on what it's value is to you, really.

I had a really good one of these that I PIF'ed to Jmadams13. It is actually NOT made from an old file though. I'll try to find some pics (I know they are here somewhere) -I got it from Son originally-big shocker right?

As far as I can see, there is some serious recurve belly from oversteeling c.q. poor sharpening, and a protruding heel. A new tip has to be made, start from the spine. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Nope $20 I just thought it was interesting and a good sharpening project for me. Does anyone know a quick and dirty way how to tell if it tally is made from an old file andoso hrc of at least 60?

that is pretty cool!! i like the one on the other thread..make it like that!!

i found a pretty fanatical knife guy at the walnut creek farmers market..he loved my old Sabatier and had to fix a very slight problem that needed some reprofile love. the guy was gushing at the old carbon steel and did the job for $15.. i did buy him a cup of coffee as well.

Havana Illinois. I have three or four. One of the knife magazine convinced me they were highly valuable so I bought them at flea markets when ever I saw them. I found later there is really no collector interest. One of my knives is a lamb splitter which I have now started using again when ever I'm butchering deer. Did a great job of opening up a deer rib cage a few weeks ago.

I have seen partial tang & extra wood coming down at the heel on older Forshner slicers.I sawed off the wood at the heel,there is no tang there,& reshaped the handle.The protruding heel is in part caused by that extra wood.This happens when the knife is sharpened at an angle to the stone,wood hits the stone so the heel area is neglected in sharpening.

The edge profile can be fixed on that blade,it looks like it could use a complete rehandle.

I'm starting to think that since the steel is certainly going to turn out no better than my old forgies, I should just keep the knife to learn sharpening on and also teh eleements of rehandling.

I bought it cause I thought the steel would be something cool, but 1095 while it is a nice steel, isn't very unusual for my collection.

Oh well

Gig good project knife.Old File Cutlery,Havana,Illinois 1906-1966.

I like restoring old carbon blades.If you cherry pick on E-Bay,you can find some over 100 yr. old carbons in good shape,just need a good cleaning & sharpening.I like reading about the forges that made them.Shear steel,thin quality carbon blades.

Are there any special things to look for in the bay listing? Obviously I know (and own and love) some forgecrafts but of other brands I clearly know nothing :- )

I only bid on knives that have not been sharpened much where the blade geometry is good.Alot of patina is OK as long as not too much pitting.I like the Stag handle blades with sterling silver accents.

Back