Another help me decide question - line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbl

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls.

So, I have decided I want a 180-210mm Wa-Handled line knife.

The names that have popped out so far are Konosuke HD2 and Gesshin Ginga/Heiji.

Wa-petty or suji works.

I really want a darker handle; rosewood/ebony etc.

Anything other knives I should check out?

Are you looking for a petty/suji profile?
What's the budget?

Since you're in the UK I'd go for this Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan stainless 210 suji. I don't recall anyone actually buying one but they look almost exactly like Sakai Yusukes and are very cheap. Since you're in the UK you'll avoid import fees and all that as well

To add to what Steven said, a Yusuke 210mm gyuto might be a good fit. These Sakai 210mm gyutos are pretty narrow - typically only ~42mm at the heel. The Yusuke is $169 at Bluewayjapan on ebay.

That looks great Tim,

not liking the machi gap on Steven’s suggestion, and am not a huge fan of the Ho Wood colour.

Do you boys both get stung on import tax when buying from the states?

If you are considering Gesshin I'd seriously consider this:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gengetsu/gengetsu-180mm-stainless-wa-petty.html

A long 180, and has a bit of extra knuckle clearance compared to most pettys/sujihikis. Also available in stainless clad white #2.

There really isn't a decent UK shop. Frustrating. I dont mind paying the tax, but I'd love to be able to actually see the knives I wanna choose from!

Budget and do you have a preference in terms of stainless or carbon?

I have three "line knives". Gesshin Heiji SS 210mm petty, Konosuke Fujiyama 210mm White #2 petty, Itinomonn 180mm V2 petty.

Sorry about the crummy pic. Not great light here when I don't have natual.

IMAG1999_BURST002-1.jpg

The Itinomonn looks like a pip squeak next to the other two. The Fujiyama is nice and thin, great for cleaning up proteins, slicing, any number of tasks. Gets nice and sharp, doesn't hold it forever though. It is very reactive and as you can kinda see. I have to take care of it much more frequently than I would like to in a line knife. I just got the Itinomonn today, so I haven't used it yet, but it seems pretty nice.

My favorite is the Gesshin Heiji. Stainless clad, semi stainless core steel that takes a great edge and holds it forever. It is sturdy, I don't really have to worry about it at all. I can go all service without wiping it down and not be worried if it gets knocked around a bit when it gets crazy. But then again...it was twice the price of either of the two...so I guess you get what you pay for.

What about Kin knives?

Haven't looked for a while but they used to extortionately overpriced, there's a shop in London that's also really expensive for what it's selling.

I emailed keiichi on Sunday about a yusuke in Swedish but he doesn't know when they'll be available again unfortunately

Do you boys both get stung on import tax when buying from the states?

Yes, for sure.

I used to live there, now I time my purchases from the US vendors to coincide when I'm going to be there...

What about Kin knives?

didn't know about these before. just saw their recommended method for sharpening single bevels involves sharpening the "flat" side and deburring only on the bevelled side. that's the only time the bevelled side should touch the stone!

contact tilman if you're not in a hurry, that's what I did

Back