Shigefusa Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato42

Reaction score
The mythical Shigefusa Chucka-bouchou is finally reality after a long wait of nearly 3 years. Made for me in a special custom size of 210x100mm and "thin", it is truly unique. I have never seen a Shige cleaver, so I'm really curious. In the photos it looks like an absolute beaut, but what else would you expect from a Shige? It'll be in my hands soon. :drool:

S1090007.jpg

S1090004.jpg

Wooo! Have fun with it and let us know your impressions afterwards :D

he has made one as far as know but not for US.
Nice piece.
3 years wait is outrageous though.

So THAT's the one you were hinting at before! Can't wait for some hands-on impressions! What's the steel?

Wow that's nice slab of steel!!! You have the patience of Job. Well Job had patience, you had no choice but to wait. Anyway this is the perfect example of, "Somethings are worth waiting for." :thumbsup:

he has made one as far as know but not for US.
Nice piece.
3 years wait is outrageous though.

Oh I'm sure in the more than half century of making knives that many cleavers have been made, I've just never seen one. Not online and certainly not in person. I was also happily surprised that it was made to my size request, and without any special markup in cost. From the looks of things so far it was worth the wait

yeah you were right, the scales look a little shrunken already. You ready for license plate #2?

Of course!

It's really sad to see such a beautiful knife with such a perpetual problem with their western handles.

Is that a kasumi blade or a single steel blade?

Kasumi I believe. It sure looks like it in the pictures, and that's how it was described. I'll add it to the endless list of questions I have for So lol

nice
please post pics of the geometry when you get it I would like to compare with other makers.

Jesus! No idea they made these either. Looks like a beaut though! So....I gotta ask...how much did they wack you for that?

Not nearly as much as you might think! It's funny, So even said in his message with the initial quote that he thought it would cost a lot more. Like I said they agreed to do the slight custom changes for no additional cost too so I feel like I got it for a steal. Send me a PM if you want the exact price quote.

BTW, I got a 240 gyuto too...:D

Amazing knife, I am envious! Only thing for me is the edge is too straight. I like a little curve in my cleavers. Nice going, if you ever decide to sell I got first dibs!!!!!

Amazing knife, I am envious! Only thing for me is the edge is too straight. I like a little curve in my cleavers. Nice going, if you ever decide to sell I got first dibs!!!!!

Thanks Bert. I noticed in the pictures of my Konosuke (also custom same size) that the edge looked perfectly straight, but after receiving it, the knife had the slightest curve to it that I found to be perfect. I'm hoping this is the same.

So got back to me about the weight - 490g so it's going to be really similar to my Konosuke

I got another message from So about the knife in response to my question about how hard the steel is -

"Hmmm, HRC huh..., well to be honest, this knowledge isn't too popular yet, but this HRC thing, it's actually very unreliable. It's affected by the angle of the bevel which the diamond pin strikes, and this angle isn't adjusted accurately at all. So I myself never paid much, well to tell you the truth, any attention to it, so I actually don't know. I'm not even sure if Shigefusa themselves know.

But considering the usage of this knife, I assume it is tempered a bit more, perhaps close to deba (Shigefusa's deba is pretty hard, less skilled chefs chip them very easily) or even more, so that it won't chip or crack when striking the bones. But I suggest you go easy on it first and see.

In that sense, you should extensively try it before you change the handle, at least sharpen it twice and get the hang of the steel, because if you feel that it is a bit too hard/tense, you can bake it in the oven and temper it down a bit. It is very easy, but you need to know at what degree, for how long, so IF you decide to do it, let me know and I'll instruct in detail. Once you attach the new handle you cannot take it off anymore, so right before you send it to the handle maker, you can take the handle off (do you think you can do it?) and bake the blade in the oven.

Again, this might sound a bit surprising for you, but this is how the smiths are tempering to begin with, altho their ovens are specialized in tempering, but these tempering ovens are no different from the ones we bake cakes and lasagnas at home =-O

Would this be good enough info?

So"

Man, I wish So would post on these forums. That dude knows his ****!

Only thing for me is the edge is too straight. I like a little curve in my cleavers.

Thanks Bert. I noticed in the pictures of my Konosuke (also custom same size) that the edge looked perfectly straight, but after receiving it, the knife had the slightest curve to it that I found to be perfect. I'm hoping this is the same.

I decided to pull up the image in photoshop and sure enough, there is the slightest bit of curve to the edge. I'm not at all surprised. Iizuka san spent decades refining his craft and it shows.

Iizuka san spent decades refining his craft and it shows.

Yes it does. If you have ever held/used/seen in person a Shigefusa, you understand this. They really are just incredible especially considering the process and all the attention to detail. They are truly beautiful art. I would love to give that cleaver a run.

How's about an action video Sean?

Wow, tempering with home cook oven to adjust the steel hardness... This thread has transcended to another level...

Yes it does. If you have ever held/used/seen in person a Shigefusa, you understand this. They really are just incredible especially considering the process and all the attention to detail. They are truly beautiful art. I would love to give that cleaver a run.

How's about an action video Sean?

I'd love to, despite my horrendous knife skills, but I don't have it in my hands yet. I've already considered a passaround with a few select cleaver loving individuals. :wink:

Wow, tempering with home cook oven to adjust the steel hardness... This thread has transcended to another level...

Come on now guys I agree it sounds ridiculous, but he is right in that the basic concept of tempering (not heat treating) could be done in a standard oven. Though If I did want to do it, I'd still send it off to one of my knife making buddies who have a knife kiln!

i bet alot more knifemakers than uthink use a regular oven for tempering....ryan

Back