Best knife for removing silverskin.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stopbarking

Reaction score
I've just recently moved into a position where I am going to have to clean a whole lot more animals requiring silverskin removal. Until now I have not had to do a whole lot of that and have done an admirable job so far using my gyuto. Yesterday I was cleaning a whole lot of seriously rough cleaned beef and lamb for the first time and realized that if I had the power I would fire myself. I'm decent at it, but due to the limitations of my knives, my scrap pile was embarrassing.

I have a crappy messermeister boning knife that I could spend some time on thinning and sharpening often but I'd rather get a decent knife to take care of this large volume.

I'd like this knife to double as a WOG knife but if there is a sweet knife out there, I am REALLY good at breaking down WOGs with what I've got now.

I'd like to keep it under 250.

There is a double bevel Murray Deba for sale that I've almost bought twice tonight alone. The Gesshin Ginga Honesuki and Honkotsu speak to me as well. Cant afford a custom Rader though that would be ideal I think.

Any suggestions?

i actually quite like using wusthof scalloped flexible utility knife for that purpose. just gotta thin the crap out of it and then the edge will last plenty and easy to maintain on a steel.

I like honesuki especially for this task.

I wouldn't go for a deba. A narrow blade makes the most sense for this job: a suji, or honkotsu. Personally I have an 18cm petty that I really love because it's a "tweener" knife that is small enough to do petty jobs but also long enough that it can be used as a suji as well. My recommendation would be a 21cm petty... Honkotsu seems really nice if you want something really task specific.

And if you're on these forums, I'm sure you've probably studied some youtube videos? That would really help. I know some chefs that are pretty much entirely youtube trained. :)

I've always had good luck with my wustof boning knife which has been sharpened professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A long as there isn't any bone around its tough to beat a yanagi for silver skin. WOG. Double bevel deba. If you want a knife that can do both the Takeda Mioroshi deba comes to mind. I no longer have one but in the past I've found it competent for both tasks.

I made a knife just for this task.....it's a petty thats crazy thin...works perfect

+1 210 suji/ Kono HD, has a touch of flex, too.

What's the reason for the 210 just out of interest?
I personally use a 150 petty for trimming..Works well for me, alot Easier to sharpen than a boning knife also.

What's the reason for the 210 just out of interest?
I personally use a 150 petty for trimming..Works well for me, alot Easier to sharpen than a boning knife also.

The size probably isn't that important. It just happens to be the size I own, and it works. I also have a 150mm Carter, but prefer the Konosuke for this task.

I guess having it at 210 makes it a bit more universal, could double as a line knife.
My 150 doesn't really get used on anything else...

Edit: although a knife for silver skin & a line knife may need different grits...

I say 150mm Honesuki for silverskin. Not sure about WOG's though. I used to just power through them with a German beater, a Miroshi Deba does sound cool though. I wouldn't spend too much money on a WOG killer though.

I don't do it professionally, but I've trimmed a pork loin a time or two. I find a thin 6 inch or so petty knife to work great. It's usually the knife I use for chickens, too. I use a Shun utility, myself.

+1 to the itonomon wa butcher. I like a curved tip to aid in not puncturing the silverskin. My preferred is a well used 10" carbon dexter cimiter.

This is an easy one...

xil2.jpg

i currently use a $20 tosa 165mm funayuki. works awesome for that purpose.

210 takeda yanagi. so perfect. long petty and super thin. it kills the silver skin!

Did some pork loin last night using a Zakuri yanagi (double bevel), a small suji and a single bevel yanagi. Can't believe there hasn't been more votes for the single bevel yanagi. Did a killer job. Best of the 3.

As long as you remove the silverskin by cutting towards your self small yanagi will do great :scared4: It becomes challenging when you cut away from your self and the knife start steering away

Honesuki
Or in the mean time a birds beak is a lot better than a gyuto.

How do people find different carbon varieties 'sticking' when slicing through meat, my kono white 210 is really grippy when trying to portion venison especially, same white white fish, salmon is fine as its an oily fish.

Some better than others?

Honesuki
Or in the mean time a birds beak is a lot better than a gyuto.

How do people find different carbon varieties 'sticking' when slicing through meat, my kono white 210 is really grippy when trying to portion venison especially, same white white fish, salmon is fine as its an oily fish.

Some better than others?

It's likely "catching" on the patina. "Polish" the blade with 0000 steel wool; it should help.

That boning knife is one of my favourite knives that I've seen on this Forum! So sleek! it would look better with some Patina though :D

i actually quite like using wusthof scalloped flexible utility knife for that purpose. just gotta thin the crap out of it and then the edge will last plenty and easy to maintain on a steel.

This is an easy one...

xil2.jpg

Back