Quantcast
Tell Me About Pens - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me About Pens

I like rollers but don't know much about them, used a German one for some time but forget the name. A while ago I was looking at fountain pens, not as collecting objects but to actually write with them. I came across the Namiki Vanishing Point and never looked back. It's a fountain pen with a tip that recedes into the pen, just like a ball pen. No fiddling with the hood, never had any leaking, works with either cartridges or loose ink, and it looks nice enough - and at a bit over $100 very affordable. Also easy to just get different tips for it that you can switch out, but I just got two of them to write in black or blue.

Stefan

I don't know much about pens; but, I really like my Artex dragon pen! check out http://www.artexpen.com/02-1collectionwall.php
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I dont know much about rollers, but I love a good fountain pen. My favorites are Waterman pens for their smooth flowing nibs and thick bodies. Also love my Lamy 2000's for their precision and perfection in fine point. My favorite ink is Noodlers Brown. My handwriting sucks and I dont work to improve it, but write many letters.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I like rollers but don't know much about them, used a German one for some time but forget the name. A while ago I was looking at fountain pens, not as collecting objects but to actually write with them. I came across the Namiki Vanishing Point and never looked back. It's a fountain pen with a tip that recedes into the pen, just like a ball pen. No fiddling with the hood, never had any leaking, works with either cartridges or loose ink, and it looks nice enough - and at a bit over $100 very affordable. Also easy to just get different tips for it that you can switch out, but I just got two of them to write in black or blue.

Stefan
    Thats one pen I want to try. Heard nothing but good things.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

If they ever stop making these I'm screwed, I can't write nearly as well with anything else. I have multiple boxes stashed away.

Naturally, they are Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    I dont know much about rollers, but I love a good fountain pen. My favorites are Waterman pens for their smooth flowing nibs and thick bodies. Also love my Lamy 2000's for their precision and perfection in fine point. My favorite ink is Noodlers Brown. My handwriting sucks and I dont work to improve it, but write many letters.

Quantum, anyone who still write letters pen and ink has me on their side! Who makes Noodlers Brown? I'd love a good brown ink. I've been using a really intense deep deep black - Pelikan Tinte 4001 Gunther Wagner. I've had a Lamy but the body cracked and leaked ink! Beautiful pen though, and I liked the nib very much. I've also used Parkers, Schaefers (sp?) and a Pilot from way back in the 50s.

Apart from the body/shell the important things in a pen for me is primarily the nib and then the filling system. For me, nothing beats a Pelikan nib.

With a rollerball, the important thing is the refill. My favorite is my Visconti Pericles with a Cross refill. Although I have several Montblancs, I agree that they are overpriced. And the cross refills work better.

Now fountain pens are another story. QC, you are a man after my own heart! Too bad the collector's urge can be transferred to knives.

Forgot to mention I like using vintage pens like Parker vacuumatics, 51s, etc. I have one with a real flexi nib. I don't have great penmanship but in the hands of a good writer the lettering can be so dynamic.

Technically the best fountain pen I know is the Parker Duofold. Not the troubles with the filling system you'll see with both Mont Blanc and Pelikan.
    The most comfortable ball-point pen I found is made by Caran d'Ache.

I've been collecting fountain pens for about 10 years...MonteBlanc is considerably overpriced...but they all are, really...MB is just a bit more egregious than the rest

I've not found that one brand is better than another...has more to do with price point. I don't think that will be the case with rollers though...more to do with the refills. No substitute for finding a good pen store near you and seeing/holding them in person (sound familiar?).

My $0.02
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.