Thread: Ashi Hamono steel type

Ashi Hamono steel type

Hi all,

Thanks to the couple threads talking about Ashi's cleavers, I'm thinking of ordering one myself. They offer a stainless (apparently AEBL) or a carbon (white #2) option, and I've got to pick one. The stainless is hardened to 60 while the carbon is 61-62. I have no experience with white #2 or with AEBL. Anyone used the two steel types and have any opinions?
    Thanks!

AEB-L is the steel that Hoss uses for his baldes. I can't remember hearing anything bad about his knives. u can read what he says here: http://www.devinthomas.com/faq.cfm

Seems to me all you need to decide on is if you want a clever that can develop a nice patina or a SS piece which won't. Other than that you've got a win/win choice to make.

Has it been confirmed that Ashi uses AEB-L? If so, does the Gesshin line they make use the same steel?

I hate when companies say "INOX" or "SWEDISH STEEL" or just "STAINLESS STEEL." It hardly narrows down what steel they use. If they're using a good quality steel, why don't they just advertise it? When I am paying $200+ for a knife, I'd like to know what steel their using.

If you went out to eat and saw a steak on the menu for $50, you'd probably pass it over. But, if someone said it was Wagyu beef... then you'd be at least tempted to order it. right?

The standard Ashi Ginga stainless is about 59 - they raised it from 58 not long ago, I'm told. DrNaka announced at FF some time ago that he had been told by Ashi that the stainless is in fact AEB-L. However, you can custom-order the stainless up to 61.

I have used both steel types and I say go with White#2 - the edge it takes is just phenomenal. It will blow your mind!

Oh, I should mention that I have the Ashi Ginga Chuka #6 (220x110x2.0mm) in White#2 I ordered through Bluewayjapan.

Thanks for the advice! How are you liking yours Seb? I saw you seemed to enjoy it in another thread. I was planning on getting it slightly less tall and nice and thin.

Ashi/Gesshin Ginga through Jon is the same steel hardened to 61 hrc. AEB-L is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by peterm View Post
    Thanks for the advice! How are you liking yours Seb? I saw you seemed to enjoy it in another thread. I was planning on getting it slightly less tall and nice and thin.
    I like it a lot but for everyday use I think I would prefer something "slightly less tall and nice and thin".

My standard #6 is already quite thin but Mainaman's custom has a really nice distal taper.

I was toying with the idea of getting one in Swedish stainless at 60 but I am leaning back towards the White#2: sharper and easier to sharpen.