Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Good Tea Sources?

I got some mini fine mesh strainers from the Asian market the fit nicely into most cups & mugs. 2 minutes for first steep, 3-4 minutes for 2nd, and depending on the tea, up to 10 minutes for the last. After that it's pretty much done.

I've also used a french press - that works well because it gives the tea leaves plenty of room to float around, and when pressed it keeps the leaves from brewing further. I got a press that has a handle that you can spin and close off the mesh strainer at the bottom that insures no further brewing of coffee/tea. Bu ***'s too much bother compared to a simple mini strainer in a cup.

Plus the mini strainers are great to dusting deserts w/ cocoa, powder sugar, etc.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    And my wife was trying to tell me Im the only person in the world who does this!

Attachment 20055
    That looks familiar. See it at my house every morning!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Upton Tea Company (uptontea.com) if you're in the northeast. Great prices, quality, and shipping time. Also you can get sample sizes of any selection. I haven't bothered with any other sources.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Ok lets keep this thread going some...whats a good top of the line Japanese green tea?
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas;254830

Tao of Tea
    Visited Portland OR a few years ago and went to the Chinese Gardens, and had tea in the Lansu Tea House. They sell Tao of Tea, a local Portland company. Very nice teas. Especially look out for the Silver Needles white tea - that stuff gives me a wicked buzz for some reason.

[URL
    http://www.taooftea.com/[/URL]
    Seconded. Especially like their pseudo-Puerh brick teas.

My favorite source, though, is http://www.teasource.com/. Top notch tea at great prices.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Good teas are far more expensive than coffee, and IMO tea is under-rated and under-estimated in our culture which has become dominated by good coffee. I love coffee too!

You really only need to buy 4-6 oz of good tea at a time, and you can get 3-5 good cups from teaspoonful. I steep my tea in a 20 mug (about a tablespoon) and usually get 3 mugfuls out of it. Depending on how long I steep each round, the last cup can be quite mild.
    Yeah, tea is more expensive on a per pound basis, but on a per cup basis, I think it's the other way around. But it does depend on the tea -- I mostly like white/green/oolong, all of which are good for multiple infusions.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Ok lets keep this thread going some...whats a good top of the line Japanese green tea?
    It may not be top of the line, but I really like this tea . Need to order some more, in fact.

Top of the line would be gyokuro, but I haven't found a source that reliably produces one that I like; would welcome suggestions.

After water, tea is the most consumed beverage around the world.

The fad in USA is green teas, but my favorite tea by far is Darjeeling, an Indian black tea. It's called the champagne of teas. Give a try if you haven't yet.