What stone for what blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilesenpai

Reaction score
Yo,

I am looking into a 400 grit, but wondering how to get the "right" one. What is the difference and how much difference and benefits are there?

I may have asked this before... :O

Thanks.

There is a lot of difference. Some provide feedback that feels very coarse, almost dry. Some stones feel very slick. What works best for what is largely subjective. Any given stone will perform differently for different people based upon a lot of things. How the stone is lapped, if a nagura is used and even what kind of nagura is used will produce different results. Finding what is best for you can often mean a lot of trial and error. There is a bit less to be concerned with at the 400 level because it is for coarse work and will be flowed by other stones. Personally I tend to be less fussy till I get to my final stone. This being said if you are looking for a good 400 stone I can recommend the Gesshin 400 available from Jon (JKI). I've only had it for about 6 weeks but true to Jon's claims it does very well with whatever steel you throw at it and wears slowly.

Gesshin 400 is perfect for speed and feedback. Beston 500 is good for feedback and wear resistance plus it's a great value option. I don't have any choosera 400 experience but I used a naniwa 400 super stone for a while. While it does the job, I just didn't quite like the feel of its splash and go nature.

I really like Shapton stones after getting used to them. They make a 320 grit that is super. Does not have that course gritty feel that some coarser stones have yet still cuts quicker than it seems to be. Does not need to be soaked which could save time.

Back