Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Gear

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    I own both the SousVide supreme and a ployscience... The SousVide oven holds temp of +/- .5 degree (pretty good), the down side is that even the larger unit (which I own) does not hold much. It should also be noted that the water does not circulate. I prefer the ployscience, but I do use the SVS more due to convenience.
    I have used both and would recommend the PolyScience 100 times out of 100. For one, it circulates, and two the capacity and versatility is much better. And the fact that you can break it down when you aren't using it and store it compactly I think is huge for a home cook. If you don't have the counter space for a giant water bath at all times, get the circulator.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Great thread, you can learn a lot about kitchen gear, and you can definitely learn to stay away from pro kitchens unless you want to start lusting for more stuff

I still use the sous vide demi that Jason organized for me for a ridiculous price, and I like it. But if you want to do larger batches it definitely has its limits. I had been looking at the Sansaire, but I don't think I can justify having two s.v. setups unless I do it more often. BTW, I am still working without a vacuum sealer and think for short-term small-batch preparations that is fine although not ideal. I have a Foodsaver somewhere in a storage box and want to reactivate that (as soon as I find the right box). Not sure a vac chamber is worth it for me, mostly cooking for myself. A coffee roaster is higher on my priority list...

I used the meat grinder on the kitchen aid but tend to get lazy reg the clean-up - until I see some kind of report on mystery meats again and get motivated to grind my own. Always wanted to try my hand on sausages but, again, that seems like a big project for one person alone and my peers out here all eat too healthy to be interested in pork sausage. They don't even eat Spam

Sorry, rambling again...

Stefan

My interest in hanging out in pro kitchens is to learn things that are not very obvious to an aspiring cook. Things like you should refrigerate meat for a short time before you grind it. I tend to learn better by observing others, than reading and visualizing.

Learning about gear was totally a bonus, and as it turned out, a headache.

I am definitely in the market for a vacuum chamber and sous-vide machines. I don't have much time to prepare meals and I am on Paleo diet 80% of the time, and am kind of tired eating same things all the time. Need to broaden my food horizon and also learn to prepare meals more efficiently. Sous-Vide with long timed low temp cooking sounds like best of the two worlds for me.

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer so adding grinding attachment is a piece of cake. VitaMix is something I might have to wait for a while (well, all machines might have to wait for a while, if I am to get light commercial grade stuff) - I have a decent Bosch mixer with a number of programs, not the same, but will tie me over for the time being.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko, I've been grind meat and making sausage since I was a child and I'll tell you flat out that the kitchen aid attachment is not the way to go. Also, you will want to slightly freeze the meat that your grinding. Also, power tools are great, but unecessary in the case of grinding meat. You'll create a better product and more control by going with a hand crank grinder. SS is nice but I've had this porkert is at least 30 YO. Like knives, just make sure you flatten the blade and die before grinding.

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Those sausages look great! I probably will get one of those oldies if I can ever catch them in stock. USA made is a must for me.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-6-chop-rit...-grinders.aspx

Marko, The manual grinder have skyrocketed these past few years. You might consider this one too

http://www.sausagemaker.com/6122222s...atgrinder.aspx

And don't forget the stuffer. I love this one:

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/11-l...age-stuffer-1/
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

For sous vide though it isn't quite out yet the sansaire one that was funded on kickstarter looks awesome

http://sansaire.com/

but I haven't actually gotten mine yet so a grain of salt is needed :- )

For a vitamix, your local costco (or costco online) always has great deals...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Is this sous-vide worth attention?
    http://anovaculinary.com/
    How different is Sansaire circulator from the Anova circulator above?

Here are specs of Anova. Can't find any specs for Sansaire

Specifications

Temperature Range: 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C
    Pump Speed: 12L/min Directional
    Tank capacity: up to 22 liters (5-6 gallons)
    Timer: 99 hours with auto shut off
    Safety: water level sensor for auto shut off
    Dimensions: 2.75" x 2.75" x 15.5"
    Max Clamp Opening: 1.25"
    Heating Power: 1kW
    Power Input: 115-120 VAC (220V-240V available Oct. 2013)
    Limited Warranty: 1 year parts & labor

Features

360° directional pump for maximum circulation
    Touch screen display with °C & °F readouts
    User-adjustable temperature calibration
    All stainless steel (wetted parts)
    Easy disassembly for cleaning
    Dishwasher-safe steel skirt

They seem awfully similar, the ANova got cut in price alot to match the sansaire

Sansaire specs

Weight
    4 lbs

Dimensions
    4 x 4 x 15 in

Voltage

North America (110/120V 60Hz)

Display Color

Blue

Power

1000 Watts

Temperature Range

0°C-100°C, 32°F – 212°F

Temperature Resolution

0.1°C / 0.1°F

Temperature Stability

+/- 0.1°C at 60°C

Maximum Bath Size

6 gallons (larger sizes possible with insulated containers)

Water Circulation Rate

1.5 gallons per minute

Overheat / Low Water Level Protection

Yes

For that super serious vacuum sealer.

http://www.provacuumsealers.com/index.htm
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"