what type of knife for cutting joints of meat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenn21

Reaction score
hi guys i got my carter 240mm gyuto today im loving it! kinda thought it would be sharper though its sharp its just not scary sharp maybe im expecting too much.

anyway im now looking for a knife to cut joints of meat. am i right thinking this would be a suji?

i want a long one at least 300mm (i want to be able to slice through a joint of meat with one cut) but i want a double bevel i dont like the thought of a knife only being sharp on one side:no:

i want a white carbon

any suggestions?

Are you talking about actually cutting through a joint. Like the stifle or atlas joint or are you referring to the British term for a boneless primal. If it is actual joints you want a stiff boning knife. 5 or 6 inch. A hankotsu works as well. A suji is too long and too thin for this task. It will chip and there is not enough control. If it is for cutting boneless primal like a strip loin I would go with a suji or scimitar. If it is bone in primal like a pork rack I would use a scimitar not a suji because of risk of chipping. 95% of butcher is done with a boning knife. I'll break a whole side of beef into sub primals with a 5 in boning knife and not use anything larger until I clean them.

I agree with Chuck, a stiff 6in boning knife. I would also add that a 8-10 inch breaking knife is very good for the larger tasks.

+1 an 8 in breaking knife is my second most used knife. A very under rated knife. I don't know why more people don't make/use them.

Don't use thin edged J- knives around bone.It's a cheap fix,for joints like a Forschner boning knife.A suji is a slicer.Not sure what you mean cutting thru joint with one cut.There are lots of meat joints deboning a bird can be done quickly wt. a thinner boning type blade without cutting bone at all,just working the tip thru the joint. If chopping Ribs apart a bone bone cleaver works great or a beefy gyuto.

Diff. blades for diff. joints,but a 300mm white steel suji is not one of them.

I have a feeling he is referring to the British term for joints. Which just means a sub primal.

i dont like the thought of a knife only being sharp on one side:no:?

? I think you may be misunderstanding what a single-beveled knife is, or I'm not quite grasping what you mean, as single-beveled knives have the same number of edges as double-beveled knives.

Budget? If you're the lucky owner of the 240 Carter IP that just sold, then I'm guessing it isn't really an issue :)
My Rader gyuto is the the best double bevel protein slicer that I've ever used... by a considerable margin. It's only a 270 gyuto but it does such a good job with big chunks of meat, that I haven't been able to justify a dedicated big slicer. But, I ever did, it would be something like this one:
[video=youtube;UY-WUrhda8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-WUrhda8Q&feature=share&list=UUX6VEhNbmCnY8jPrF6VTzOA[/video]
[video=youtube;XSMGd_wY2Xk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSMGd_wY2Xk&feature=share&list=UUX6VEhNbmCnY8jPrF6VTzOA[/video]

As for the edge on your new Carter, I've noticed that he keeps them pretty toothy: perhaps 6000ish and at a good balance between aggression, refinement, and retention in terms of performance. In other words I think he tries to put a good, practical edge on them that's as sharp / sharper than it "needs" to be for any kitchen task.
If you want it to be stupid, scary, pointless (but fun) sharp, it will literally take <5min on a polishing stone and or strop, but you will sacrifice some durability / retention of the sake of recreational atom splitting. It's also possible to play around with compound angles and different grit combos and get an edge that will sacrifice some of the initial blazing keenness, but last for a much longer time. That's the whole point of white #1: minimal effort for wide range of results. -A very easy steel to experiment with.

I used Murray's edge like a benchmark. I used it on a variety of things until it started to fade a bit and then touched it up in a nice finishing stone till it it was popping hairs just looking at them. Then I used that edge for a bit and compared the performance and longevity to the original. When that started to go, I took it though a full progression of stones and set my own angles and combo of grits.
Just take the "Murray" edge for what it is: his edge. Then take some time figuring out what YOUR optimal edge is for the knife and your preferences.

EDIT:
Just noticed that you're in the UK. "joints' should have been a give-away. I don't think that I could justify being a Brit and a Knut and not owning something from Will of Catcheside Cutlery. He's made some breaktaking stuff, but certainly the sickest carving set of all time.
http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/gallery.html

At least Carter's are pretty easy to touch up.

Maybe see if you can get on WillC's waiting list for a Suji

yes im in the uk and am talking about a joint of meat with no bone in it sorry for the confusion. i thought a single bevel was a knife which is only sharpened on one side.
its a slicer is what im looking for i like sujis because they are long and thin and look cool:biggrin:

WillC's Sujihuki looks nice with the Damascus pattern but im looking for a less expensive option this time as my carter cost $850 usd including shipping and i got hit with a £128 import and customs charge:bigeek:

i would go Damascus or white carbon but not stainless my first choice would be carbon then Damascus second.

hopefully i can get a good one in the bts forum a little cheaper than if it were new

justin0505 i bought the hg gyuto not the ip that damascus pattern looks awsome

Pierre Rodrigue makes kick-arse slicers in carbon or stainless for pretty reasonable prices. Not sure what his wait time is, although I think it's less than Marko's or DT's.

i got hit with a £128 import and customs charge

Wow. Thats almost $200 US just to get it in. That's rough.
You can have white steel with damascus. The core is white steel clad with damascus. Also, if you just don't want stainless, the blue steel's is are a great option as well. I think most members would agree it is a better steel. Although that is not to say there is anything wrong with white steel.

for cutting proteins, white steel is a fine choice, in my opinion.

If you order from JCK you'll avoid the annoying Import Fees but you're not really spoiled for choice. A Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan would fit the bill, it's White #1 but it only goes up to 270

Fwiw, you don't always, 100% avoid tax with jck. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

Latest posts

Back