Salmon or Lake Trout stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1889

Reaction score
Looking for a good so recipe using salmon or lake trout stock.

Thanks ahead of time.

I have known a few chefs who make salmon stock. Always to be used with salmon dishes. You can't use it like a regular fumee. It is too strong. I wouldn't recommend doing it in the first place.

I didn't mean to shoot you down harshly. What were you going to use it for? Were you just looking for a way to utilize the leftover carcass? I might be able to help with that.

YouTube a video on how to remove the "collar" of the salmon. They're great simply roasted with salt and pepper, or you can rub them with white miso paste. (Be careful, the miso caramelizes really quickly in the pan) Sear the collar flesh side down and finish it in the oven. It's great with ponzu. For the belly: clean the skin off, and serve it raw, or cooked rare with some pickled seaweed. (You can find dried white seaweed at most Asian markets) rehydrate it with a light pickling liquid. Throw on some cilantro and thinly sliced cucumbers, and you're in business. You should be able to use pretty much everything but the bones. The cheeks are great also. They're nice and fatty, and stand up to big flavors. Use your imagination and adjust to your palate. :)

Bones grill up pretty well too, sauce with some crushed herb smeg and eat like ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Bear, some say nay, I say yay. Salmon bone fumet does the trick for me when I pan sear salmon, and use the fumet to regenerate my rizzo as the starch under the fish. Also I might be an odd duck but I like a good salmon soup from the stock with salmon scraps, potatoes, and mirepoux. :my2cents:

Latest posts

Back