Quantcast
What is the best range/ oven for home use?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best range/ oven for home use?

What is the best range/ oven for home use?

My father inlaw asked me " what's the best range you can get?" I don't cook at home so I'm not sure, I think maybe thermadore??? As far as pro ranges go I would say Montague and Garland as #1, but I dont think they make " home" models?

When the time comes for me to upgrade @ home, I'm going for this:

http://www.dcsappliances.com/product/indoor/ranges/

I also like AGA cookers, but I dont want to be bothered with the learning curve.

If you're really insane and have big gas lines, Vulcan-Hart or Jade. And lots of insurance.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Interesting...most pros usually think of gas when it comes to equipment.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have a 36" BlueStar range, and it rocks! 20k BTU burners and a simmer burner. They are a spinoff from Garland, and can be serviced by the same guys who service the pro stuff. Nothing electronic on them except the ignitors, so no BS computer boards to crap out in 5 years. They do not make dual-fuel though, so the gas oven may turn off some (cooks great, but takes a loooooong time to heat up). Could also go w/ one of their gas cooktops, and a separate electric oven from another vendor.

When I bought mine ~5 years ago, it was $1,500 - $3,000 cheaper then comparible Vikings, Decors, DCS, etc. Check out Eurostoves.com; they are one of the main vendors. And if you live near Reading, PA, you can pick it up directly from BlueStar (my sister and BIL did this; they ditched their Viking range due to recurring ignitor isses)

Imperial makes a home line of LP/Nat commercial quality ranges. Check out your local Imperial dealer for pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I have a 36" BlueStar range, and it rocks! 20k BTU burners and a simmer burner. They are a spinoff from Garland, and can be serviced by the same guys who service the pro stuff. Nothing electronic on them except the ignitors, so no BS computer boards to crap out in 5 years. They do not make dual-fuel though, so the gas oven may turn off some (cooks great, but takes a loooooong time to heat up). Could also go w/ one of their gas cooktops, and a separate electric oven from another vendor.

When I bought mine ~5 years ago, it was $1,500 - $3,000 cheaper then comparible Vikings, Decors, DCS, etc. Check out Eurostoves.com; they are one of the main vendors. And if you live near Reading, PA, you can pick it up directly from BlueStar (my sister and BIL did this; they ditched their Viking range due to recurring ignitor isses)
    I use a Blue Star range as well as vouch for them 100%, never any problems with mine and maintenance/cleaning is very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Interesting...most pros usually think of gas when it comes to equipment.
    Love your avatar!

There are some that call me "Tim"

I have a Wolf cooktop and Bosch Double Ovens....love them
    Brian

The best is the Viking, because that is what I have! (don't need more equipment envy!)
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have an older original style DCS 30" range, all gas with convection and I love it. If I was shopping for a range today I wold look at Bluestar and Capital http://capital-cooking.com/product/384.

It is my understanding that Capital was founded by Surjit Kalsi after DCS was sold to Fischer and Pankel. Kalsi was the driving force behind Viking, left Viking to start DCS and now founded Capital. Bluestar is the other pick because they have a stellar reputation and the salamander/raised griddle option is just so cool.

Sean

+ Reply to Thread