Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: sharpening angles

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
    Would that remove the damascus pattern, and if so, would it have to be re-etched?
    I've recently removed a lot of scratches on a friends shun, sanding with wet & dry. It did not remove the Damascus

Quote Originally Posted by split0101 View Post
    I guess I wanted to go with something more than trial and error. For example during my last sharpening session I decided to go about 10-12* on my shun. I was able to pop hairs and shred magazine paper with little effort. After about an hour of prep work on a poly board the edge was in horrible shape. It rolled on me, started to chip and overall looked like it was in a fight.

Next time I will need to go back to 16-20* since that seems to hold up better. I don't know if that is because its a shun or if that's because VG10 should not be pushed that steep.

At the same time I put the same angle on my Carter but it held up much better. I still need to put it through a proper prep session on that poly board. If it does hold up dthen I'll continue sharpening it at that angle.

Next up is 51200, I'm going to go steep and see how it holds up. I have a feeling I might need to keep it in the mid-teens. Suggestions?

I don't think it's a vg10 thing, more a shun thing. I used to have a shun and a few work colleagues have them, keeping it at 16 seems the best bet, with good thinning behind the edge. Although also had em at 10 degrees and it held a lot longer than you described... On poly boards. Maybe focus your efforts on the final stages on sharpening.

I agree with everyone that said maths to determine angles is pretty unnecessary although I can see how it would appeal to some. A rough estimate with some paper plane folding skills will do the trick many other things are more important than calculating angles to perfection ... Just my 2 cents

Here's a photo, the shun on the right is one year old, quite a few scratches from diamond steel abuse

Shun on the left is 7 years old , sanded with wet and dry 400, 800, 1200 then metal polish .

AS mentioned auto wet dry paper.Start with finer grit see if it takes out the scratch,if not go to a lower until find grit that removes them,inspect the blade make sure they are all gone.Then go to finer grits to finish.It's not that much work as long as the scratches are lite surface ones.Be aware that you are working with a sharp edge edge,I like to wear leather gloves while doing this kind of work.