What to do with a big hairline crack in old forgie cleaver??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I [picked up a couple of old forgies and the guy threw in a forgie cleaver that has a one inch hairline crack (see pictures) and is clearly useless in its current form.

Is it worth trying to change this into a nakari shape and thus eliminate the crack? I'd have to cut off about one inch of steel and then redo the profile. Cutting the bad steel off with a diamond saw blade is relatively easy, the reprofiling into a thin nakari shape however may be impossible or totally not worth it because I would be way too high up the edge...

But I do love old forgies :- )

TIA

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

I think your idea is worth a try. At worst you'll get something unuseable but you could end up with something functional and unique. Better than just chucking it.

Did this come with a 10 inch forgie chef knife? If so I was looking at it on the bay and wondering the same thing. If not, I'm still wondering the same thing and would be interested in seeing what you do. Good luck

Yea, I wrote him and got it for a lower price - basically I paid him what a 10" forgie was worth to me and so from my point of view the cleaver came free. I have to confess when I got it, the cleaver was a lot worse then i thought :- )

Were you the one that got the 10" chefs knife that was just on there? I was kicking myself for forgetting about it. I did however pick up that cleaver that ended a day or so before the chefs ;)

I would avoid using a diamond saw or similar cutting method. I have tried something very similar and it ends up ruining the temper pretty quick. Use a grinder to grind it down and to re-profile and thin it. Best of luck.

Nope but you got the cleaver away from me :- )

Lol I'm sorry ;)

I got it to practice sharpening on but if you want it you can have it for what I paid plus the few dollars in shipping. I was thinking of going to the goodwill and picking up a real cheap knife to practice on because the cleaver is too pretty lol.

Not a wasted piece. It's Belt Grinder time! good for practice, develop a feel. Worse case scenario... a bone crusher..

Have fun
D

Erillyn - This would make a great manly knife for hubby. Cause you got it for him for use on the grill and bbq, right?

View attachment 20087

Attachments

• Forgecraft Cleaver Patina Collecting.jpg
    Forgecraft Cleaver Patina Collecting.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 22
Erillyn - This would make a great manly knife for hubby. Cause you got it for him for use on the grill and bbq, right?

View attachment 20087

Ya, sure, we'll go with that lol. He's completely clueless. I had to teach him how to use the grill when we got married and I'm proud to say, 13 years later he can finally cook a steak without burning it lol :lol2:

Latest posts

Back