Thread: Heat Treat Ovens

Heat Treat Ovens

All information discussed below is based on information and pricing from www.usaknifemaker.com

Any of you guys own a Sugar Creek HT oven? Their 24" model can be had for about $220 less than the 22.5" model from Evenheat for what I believe is comparable programming models. I don't want to save a few bucks unless the Sugar Creek is good. I've read some favorable reviews, but if it's really a good oven, why don't more people have them if they're so much cheaper? All I ever hear about is the Evenheat ovens....makes me curious if there is a reason.

Also, I'm still rather confused about the Orton temp controller with the Sugar Creek as I don't understand if it comes as a separate thing and I would have to hook it up, or what because it's not an option on Sugar Creek's website. That's a question I can ask Tracy though, but if any of you know before I ask I wouldn't mind the answer.

I don't have one yet, but have talked to a few people that do. They say it is a great kiln and would recommend it. I asked Tracy a few questions about it..It has a max temp of 2100* and i think if you order it with the controller, it comes wired.

So it looks like, after talking to Sugar Creek, that you can either get the controller pre-wired, or add it later. The maximum temp is 2,100.

I think I might go for the base model and have to babysit the darn thing for now and know that I can add the digital controller at a later date. Saving $500 might just get me my heat treat oven sooner rather than later.

I have an oven with a controller that goes up to around 2k, but for HT I have not used the controller yet, I just babysit the oven so that I can fine tune the temp.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

This is a pretty cool kiln. Thanks Adam for posting info on it.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

i have an 18 inch even heat and am looking at getting a 40 inch er from tim Z as he has great pricing (tracys might not be bad ether )
    cant saw anything on the sugger or paragon tho as i hav enot had my hands on them i have been around kilns for most ofmy life tho due to pottery and what not and can say that there are only a few things that i woudl want different in a even heat and from what i here mostly al that has been fixed with the newer kilns

bang for the buck there are hard to beat